Fear of Flying

Publish date:

I'm thinking of taking a trip for Spring Break (coming up in March) and it will be the first time that I plan the trip (usually my parents plan but I want to become more independent). Do you guys have any travel tips for me?

If it's close enough should I just drive instead of fly? I hear scary stories about airlines.

By PeanutAllergy.com on Feb 20, 2014

Question of the Week: Answered!

Every week, PeanutAllergy.com is answering one of the questions posted in our community.

Our Answer:

Traveling with a peanut allergy does not have to be a scary experience. Your allergy should not keep you from visiting new places.

Here are some tips for traveling with a food allergy:

  • - Do research on hotels by speaking with family, friends, travel agents, and your doctor. Make sure you speak with the manager about your food allergy and any accommodations you may need.
  • - Familiarize yourself with the local hospitals and allergy specialists. Get their contact information and keep it with you.
  • - Carry allergy translation cards if there is a chance of a language barrier.
  • - Bring foods that you know are safe to eat.
  • - Remember to carry EpiPens at all times.

You can also read these

tips from travel blogger Elizabeth Carlson

, who also lives with a peanut allergy.

When traveling by airplane, know that some airlines do not accommodate people with peanut allergies. Check out these tips for surviving a flight with a peanut allergy.

We asked our Facebook fans for their help and you can read their suggestions here.

By Hfalls on Feb 23, 2014

I would strongly recommend flying with a peanut free airline such as JetBlue. Most JetBlue flights don't sell peanuts on the plane, and if you let them know of your allergy, they will make sure no one sitting around you has peanut products. When my family and I flew, we called in advance and they cleaned the plane for us.

By Kimmyd54 on Feb 23, 2014

We've flown 4 times with our peanut allergic son (2 jet blue 2 southwest) and to be honest southwest was better cs wise but both e were great.

By momoftwins on Mar 4, 2014


One thing that you mentioned in your post is that one must ingest the allergen to have a reaction. While that may be true for most, there are some who need only touch the allergen. My daughter has actually had a severe reaction (facial swelling and wheezing) from contact after touching a door knob that someone had touched just after eating a peanut butter cup. The reaction happened very quickly. You are, however, correct in suggesting speaking with your allergist to understand the severity of your child's allergy,

By Kimmyd54 on Feb 23, 2014

SPEAK WITH YOUR ALLERGIST! He or she knows what is best for you. However, our allergist just reminded us last week of the fact that u need to ingest to have a reaction. But you need to be careful if you say touch a peanut that u wash your hands because you can have a reaction if you rub your eyes after touching it