Epi Pen

Posted on: Wed, 05/30/2001 - 2:43am
LyndaH's picture
Joined: 05/17/2001 - 09:00

pI do not have an epi pen for my daughter. Our Dr never told me about those - where can I get one?/p

Posted on: Wed, 05/30/2001 - 3:15am
sillyfeline's picture
Joined: 03/28/2001 - 09:00

By prescription (in the U.S.). Discuss your concern with a physician.

Posted on: Wed, 05/30/2001 - 4:48am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

LyndaH., welcome! It enangers me that your doctor didn't say anything to you about the need for an Epi-pen. Although when my son was diagnosed PA at 18 months we immediately were able to acquire an Epi-pen (through prescription), we were NEVER told anything about it's use. Now, to have NEVER been told even to get an Epi-pen would even have been worse.
I'm not sure if you are in the U.S. or not, but I do know that our family physicians have always prescribed our Epi-pens, never an allergist. I'm not clear if in the U.S. you need to see an allergist or not.
Please place a call to-day if you can. You don't want to be without one (actually two).
Please let us know how it works out and best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Wed, 05/30/2001 - 6:12am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

We have lived in two states and both places our primary care physician (or PCC for those in the HMO loop) has done the epi pen scrips, but both times,they deferred to the allergist's wishes/directions on the subject. Our allergist here I think would have written our latest scrip (about a month ago) except that he and I were yakking it up about nutrition, support groups, etc, and I think truthfully it slipped both our minds.
So no, it doesn't need to be any doctor in particular unless your insurance co. says it needs to come from your PCC. (We were afraid of that in MN where our pediatric allergist was out-of-network). Be aware that HMO's have a way of being pretty goofy about things like this, though! Our HMO (BC/BS in MN) was determined that no specialist ever order tests, even if our PCC wasn't really competent in that area of expertise. So we did a lot of "well, the allergist says we need to__________" with our PCC. We had a pediatrician who was very cooperative that way [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] , but a clinic that wasn't [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img]
Good luck- I'd call your allergist to talk over whether he/she thinks anaphylaxis is a possibility based on your case history and take it from there. Don't be afraid to ask why not, though, if he/she says it isn't.

Posted on: Thu, 06/14/2001 - 12:51am
MattsDad's picture
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Any doctor should be able to give you a prescription. You should have one for every 15 minutes you are from a hospital. You also need to find out if it is carried on the ambulances where you live. Different states have different laws and some ambulance personnel are not allowed to administer it. Dumb Huh.

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by Sarah McKenzie Fri, 05/22/2020 - 12:57pm
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Wed, 05/20/2020 - 9:30am
Comments: 5
Latest Post by justme Mon, 05/18/2020 - 12:36pm
Comments: 45
Latest Post by krisztina Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:49pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by chicken Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:45pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 11:03am
Comments: 10

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

It Is Easy To Buy Peanut Free Chocolate Online

Ask any parent of a child with a potentially life-...

Peanuts can cause one of the most serious allergic reactions of all food products. Researchers speculate...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

The most frightening thing about a severe allergic reaction to a new food is that it can happen so fast. If parents are not looking for allergic...

Those with severe peanut allergies soon learn to look for the 'peanut-free sign' on any packaged food purchase. This is a notation found on a wide...

Cakes are a central part of many celebrations, from kids' birthdays to weddings. For those with severe ...

For many people with peanut allergies, baked goods present one of the most significant risks. Even if...

A recent study published in the Journal of American College of Nutrition by Mahnaz Rezaeyan Safar and a number of her colleagues has found some...

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is an overarching term for a number of progressive lung diseases, including emphysema, chronic...

For individuals suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), managing the symptoms and avoiding exacerbations can be a full-time...

Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes itchy patches of inflammation and scale on your skin. The severity of psoriasis symptoms varies...

Kim Kardashian, an immensely famous reality star and the wife of acclaimed rapper Kanye West, has spoken out about her struggle with psoriasis....

Paul Wilson, a long-term marathon runner and asthma sufferer, is urging other people with asthma to support a new campaign aimed at raising...

Psoriasis is a common skin condition that causes a buildup of cells on the skin surface, resulting in dry, red patches on the body and/or face....

Sufferers of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) will tell you that the most difficult symptom to deal with is morning stiffness. With nearly 90 percent of...

Knowing which medication is right for you can often be a confusing and overwhelming process. The specific type of asthma medication you require...

Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition that causes painful scaly patches on the skin. Although psoriasis is a very common skin condition,...

Although there are multiple treatments available for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), those suffering from the condition can still find themselves...

Patients undergoing biologic treatment for psoriasis, a relatively common inflammatory skin condition, have seen a reduction in arterial plaque...