Drinking Increases Allergy Risks

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 3:32am
Lovey's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/22/2004 - 09:00

[url="http://allergies.about.com/cs/alcohol/a/aa012102a.htm"]http://allergies.about.com/cs/alcohol/a/aa012102a.htm[/url]

Drinking Increases Allergy Risks
From Judy Tidwell,

Study Reveals Link Between Moderate Alcohol Consumption and IgE Antibodies
If you have allergies, drinking even small amounts of alcohol can cause even stronger allergic reactions, according to research from the University of Santiago in Spain.

In the January 2002 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, lead author Arturo Gonzalez-Quintela reported a link between moderate alcohol consumption and IgE antibodies, which cause allergic symptoms by overreacting to generally harmless substances inhaled from the air.

Gonzalez-Quintela stated the findings are more likely to offer clues on how the immune system functions with regard to allergies, rather than to provide new strategies for allergy treatment.

"Our research found that regular alcohol intake higher than 70 grams per week (or more than one drink per day) was associated with increased total IgE levels in the patients studied,"

The study included 460 men and women who were patients in an allergy clinic in Spain. Tests revealed 71 percent of them as being atopic -- having a genetic predisposition to allergies -- with dust-mite allergy affecting 78 percent. Of the atopic patients, 57 percent drank about three alcoholic drinks a week.

From their research the authors concluded:

Subjects who had the genetic allergy to dust mites -- and who had one drink or more every day -- had higher levels of antibodies.

Alcohol is a risk factor for developing allergies.

Alcohol seems to interfere with the immune system -- and even moderate amounts have a subtle effect on immunity.

The findings, however, do not justify the conclusion that alcohol intake should be avoided by (allergy-prone) patients.

Although the study shows that alcohol affects a person's immune response, more study is needed to know how drinking alcohol makes a person more susceptible to allergies, the authors said.

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 7:47am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

So interesting. Of course I'm a complete tee-totaler - I can't imagine what my allergies would be like if I drank.
One more reason to keep my kids away from the sauce!
Amy

Posted on: Wed, 06/30/2004 - 3:38pm
Driving Me Nutty's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/01/2003 - 09:00

Thanks for posting.
And it makes me wonder...could there be a link between allergies and an occasional glass of wine while pregnant or nursing?

Posted on: Thu, 07/01/2004 - 1:27am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Does anyone remember hearing that having a beer a day when you were breastfeeding was supposed to be helpful in some way? I remember I had a friend, complete vegetarian, very health food oriented and when she had her child (who would be 23 this year), she read somewhere that it was good to have a beer a day if breastfeeding (which she was).
I don't drink at all, like Going Nuts (as I just finish my last drop of tea in that cup) and I didn't drink when I was pregnant or breastfeeding either child. Not a drop.
However, in remembering when I have drank, in the past, my nose will actually swell up inside and feel like I need an antihistamine if I should drink even one beer. Now, I could certainly sit back and drink more than one beer and after awhile I believe you forget about how your nose feels, but I actually thought that maybe I was allergic to something in the beer for my nose to react the way it did. Not a good feeling anyway, one of the reasons why I don't drink actually.
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Thu, 07/01/2004 - 7:22am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Cindy, some said beer - some said red wine. The logic (or ill-logic IMPO) is that it *lets down* the milk. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I do not drink alcohol at all. When I first started having reactions and didn't know what was causing them - beer was one of the things that gave me hives. Don't think I'm actually allergic to anything in beer. Apparently there are some foods that are high in histamine, and there are some foods that make your body produce more histamine (if your body is so inclined) and for me - beer is in that second group.
Really didn't mind giving up drinking - didn't do it all that often anyway.

Posted on: Thu, 07/01/2004 - 8:07am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

The only alcohol I can stand the taste of at all is a bit of red wine, but I get the same reaction as Cindy does to beer. My nose swells, my sinuses start to ache, and the resulting headache makes a migraine look like a walk on the beach. Just not worth it at all.
When I first read the title of this thread, I had a vision of intoxicated people throwing all caution to the wind and eating the things they were allergic to! I also remembered a friend who could eat certain foods alone (I believe fish was the main culprit), but if she ate them while drinking any alcohol at all would have a severe reaction.
Amy

Posted on: Thu, 07/01/2004 - 8:39am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

When momma2boys posted about her reaction while drinking strawberry daquiris (which I have never had), I couldn't help, when reading, getting it confused with strawberry margueritas and just thinking, man, I would love one of those right now. Or ten.
Going Nuts, I never cared for wine and particularly red wine because it was a migraine trigger for me as well, but I'm wondering, now that you posted about it, if I don't feel pretty much the same after I drink ANYTHING.
My nose always feels swollen inside. Now, as I said, if I continued to drink, I'd darn soon forget about the swollen nose, but when I think about hangovers (and that's going back 10 years), I have to say that they really involved my sinuses as well.
I remember when I first moved to Stayner. I was on my own with the kids and I would walk through town in the hot summer and on the way back I had to pass the beer store. Since it was only me in the house (adult wise), I knew that I could buy a six pack of beer and have it stay in the 'fridge for quite some time. Then, I thought, no, that feeling I get in my nose. I can't be bothered. I'll get ice tea instead.
And believe me, this comes from someone who has certainly done their share of drinking, but I just figured if it was going to make me feel blah, then possibly trigger a migraine, and just make me feel yucky period, well, I feel like that enough as it is so why bother?
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...