448 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 2:20am
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by MommaBear:
[b] hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder how you would address this question to parents of children with Asthma, Diabetes, Other Life-Threatening Food Alleries, Epilepsy, LD, and a Myriad of Other Personal and Individual Concerns.[/b]
In my opinion, the difference is that these other concerns mostly affect the specific person who has them. For example, a student with asthma, diabetes, etc would not die from other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc).
Food allergies are different as a student with an allergy CAN die by other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc).
Although as I have stated before it deosn't really matter what we call the school as long as it follows the policies desired by the parent (which may include allowing peanut products as I have noticed many parents here at PA.COm have no restrictions preventing their children from eating lunch with other children who may be eating peanut butter and in fact that is the same situation that I had in school)

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 2:28am
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by patsmommy:
[b] To me that a school that is "peanut free" is better then a school where 450 kids could bring in pb and jelly. Dont get me wrong, my son will have his plan in place at this school. [/b]
I agree. Although since I have no children at this time I won't have to worry about this issue. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 3:03am
MommaBear's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/23/2002 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by erik:
[b] In my opinion, the difference is that these other concerns mostly affect the specific person who has them. For example, a student with asthma, diabetes, etc would not die from other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc). [/b]
I don't necessarily agree, and explaining rationale might require quite possibly an education in the appropriate field. As well as much time.
Gail, I am reflecting on your comments regarding "life, children, etc." Thank you. {}{}{}{}
Quote:Originally posted by erik:
[b] Food allergies are different as a student with an allergy CAN die by other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc).[/b]
Did I not mention "Other Food Allergies"?
Quote:Originally posted by erik:
[b]...it deosn't really matter what we call the school as long as it follows the policies desired by the parent [/b]
Again, I don't necessarily agree.
Disclaimer: I am not offering advice in any manner or form.

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 3:33am
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Momma Bear:
[b]I don't necessarily agree, and explaining rationale might require quite possibly an education in the appropriate field. As well as much time.[/b]
I really don't think I need an education in the medical field in order to read your response as to why an average student would not be more of a threat to another student with a peanut allergy than they would be to a student with a different concern (ie: diabetes, asthma). If you don't have time for the detailed response, how about the summarized version for me? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:Originally posted by Momma Bear:
[b]Did I not mention "Other Food Allergies"? [/b]
No, you did mention it.
Quote:Originally posted by Momma Bear
[b]You may not be surprised to see where this falls (or does not) in my list of genuine concern[/b].....
[b]I don't necessarily agree.[/b]
Do I detect some waffling [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img] in your replies? Waffle envy perhaps? First you said that coming up for a name for the school (peanut-safe, reduce the risk, etc) is not in your list of concerns. But now you are saying that it is important what we call it...
So if you think it is important what we call it, what term would you recommend? Inquiring minds want to know... [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]
[i]reduce the risk school[/i] seems to be a popular term with many...
[This message has been edited by erik (edited May 22, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 3:46am
arachide's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/16/2000 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by MommaBear:
[b]... [i]wthddimatphs[/i]?...
[/b]
???
(When The Hot Dogs Die It Means All The Picnic Halts Severely???)

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 4:52am
MommaBear's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/23/2002 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by erik:
[b] Do I detect some waffling [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img] in your replies? Waffle envy perhaps? First you said that coming up for a name for the school (peanut-safe, reduce the risk, etc) is not in your list of concerns. But now you are saying that it is important what we call it...
[/b]
[i]Note my response the second time around was with regard to a statement you made containing [i]a qualifier[/i]. [/i]
Different, statement, aye?
Originally posted by erik:
"...it deosn't really matter what we call the school[b]as long as it follows the policies desired by the parent[/b]"
(bold added by MommaBear)
Originally posted in reply by MommaBear:
"Again, I don't necessarily agree."
[i]("Again" in reference to an earlier statement I made in the same post:[/i]
"I don't necessarily agree.........."
[i]in response to:[/i]
Originally posted by erik:
In my opinion, the difference is that these other concerns mostly affect the specific person who has them. For example, a student with asthma, diabetes, etc would not die from other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc).
[i]The "first time around" in reference to:[/i]
Originally posted by erik:
"So what are we to call this. I know you are not comfortable with the peanut-free term (regarding classrooms that is.. although I think you did accept this term for food products in some cases that meet your standards). A reduce the risk school? A peanut safe school? A peanut precautions school? What are some ideas for this.... I am curious as to what terminology we would use to refer to a school such as Gail's that does have policies, procedures, etc that do meet a qualified yes to your expectations."
Original post in reply by MommaBear:
"hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder how you would address this question to parents of children with Asthma, Diabetes, Other Life-Threatening Food Alleries, Epilepsy, LD, and a Myriad of Other Personal and Individual Concerns.
You may not be surprised to see where this falls (or does not) in my list of genuine concern. All ego aside.
wthddimatphs?
Disclaimer: I am not offering advice in any manner or form.
***************************************
HAAAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEL-LUUUUUUUUUUU-JAH!
[url="http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live"]http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live[/url]
"
Disclaimer: I am not offering advice in any manner or form. Merely humming loudly.
MommaBear [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/cool.gif[/img]
Speaking the King's English and humming a catchy tune. IMHO.
[This message has been edited by MommaBear (edited May 22, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 4:55am
MommaBear's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/23/2002 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by arachide:
[b] ???
(When The Hot Dogs Die It Means All The Picnic Halts Severely???)[/b]
That's guess [i]one[/i] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 5:06am
erik's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by MommaBear:
[b]
[i]Note my response the second time around was with regard to a statement you made containing a qualifier. [/i]
Different, statement, aye?
Originally posted by erik:
"...it deosn't really matter what we call the school[b]as long as it follows the policies desired by the parent[/b]"
(bold added by MommaBear)
Originally posted in reply by MommaBear:
"Again, I don't necessarily agree."
[i]("Again" in reference to an earlier statement I made in the same post:[/i]
"I don't necessarily agree.........."
[i]in response to:[/i]
Originally posted by erik:
In my opinion, the difference is that these other concerns mostly affect the specific person who has them. For example, a student with asthma, diabetes, etc would not die from other students casually going about their business (eating lunch, etc).
[i]The "first time around" in reference to:[/i]
Originally posted by erik:
"So what are we to call this. I know you are not comfortable with the peanut-free term (regarding classrooms that is.. although I think you did accept this term for food products in some cases that meet your standards). A reduce the risk school? A peanut safe school? A peanut precautions school? What are some ideas for this.... I am curious as to what terminology we would use to refer to a school such as Gail's that does have policies, procedures, etc that do meet a qualified yes to your expectations."
Original post in reply by MommaBear:
"hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder how you would address this question to parents of children with Asthma, Diabetes, Other Life-Threatening Food Alleries, Epilepsy, LD, and a Myriad of Other Personal and Individual Concerns.
You may not be surprised to see where this falls (or does not) in my list of genuine concern. All ego aside.
wthddimatphs?
Disclaimer: I am not offering advice in any manner or form.
***************************************
HAAAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEL-LUUUUUUUUUUU-JAH!
[url="http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live"]http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live[/url]
"
Disclaimer: I am not offering advice in any manner or form. Merely humming loudly.
MommaBear [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/cool.gif[/img]
Speaking the King's English and humming a catchy tune. IMHO.
[/b]
In reading your reply, I was not quite sure what you were saying but I believe your point was that it doesn't really matter what we call the school? (ie: the term peanut-safe, reduce the risk, etc). Is that the correct interpretation?
That was my original point that a name is just a label unless there is substance behind the name.
Quote:Originally posted by MommaBear:
[b] I don't necessarily agree, and explaining rationale might require quite possibly an education in the appropriate field[/b]
Once again, I do not think a medical background would be required in order for me to understand your response. As many PA Moms have posted at this site, they were more aware and able to understand PA issues and allergies in general than some of the doctors that they had visited.
For example, you don't have a music degree yet you understand Handel's music. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img]
***************************************
HAAAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HAAAAAAAAAAALEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEL-LU-JAH!
HA-LEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEL-LUUUUUUUUUUU-JAH!
[url="http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live"]http://members.aol.com/nonstopny/easter/messiah.htm#hear%20it%20live[/url]
"
[This message has been edited by erik (edited May 22, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 5:15am
MommaBear's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/23/2002 - 09:00

At least I've got you humming?

Posted on: Thu, 05/22/2003 - 5:16am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Eric, MommaBear is having fun and talking in circles. I think.
Let's try to ask a specific question - for a specific answer.
First question: Do you feel naming is of no value?
Second question: Are there other health problems/differences that a school would deal with (such as diabetes, LD, etc.) that [i]could[/i] be affected by other students going about their daily business (like eating lunch.)
Specific MommaBear. I'm learning s-l-o-w-l-y. (me, not you)

Pages

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:11am
Comments: 5
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 11:03am
Comments: 10
Latest Post by Italia38 Wed, 01/15/2020 - 10:52am
Comments: 2
Latest Post by penelope Tue, 01/14/2020 - 1:03pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by penelope Sun, 12/29/2019 - 6:21pm
Comments: 2

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Which candy bars are safe for those with peanut allergies? Those without allergies are accustomed to...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

For those who have wondered whether airport x-ray machines negatively affect epinephrine auto-injectors, the folks at Food Allergy Research &...

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

An epinephrine auto-injector provides an emergency dose of epinephrine (adrenaline) to treat life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who have...

Misunderstanding the significance of food allergy test results can lead to unnecessary anxiety and dietary changes. The three tests used most...

It can be easy to overlook the presence of nut allergens in non-food items because the allergens are often listed by their Latin or scientific...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Welcome to the complex world of being a Peanut Allergy Parent. Get ready to proofread food labels, get creative with meals, and constantly hold an...

Take control of your food allergies! Get results in ten days and change your life forever! If you are tempted to use a home testing kit...

What can you eat if you can't eat peanut butter? Fortunately for people with a peanut allergy, there...

According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, one out of five people in the U.S. has an allergy. Because there is a...

Eliminating peanut butter is the best way to handle a rash caused by this food

If your baby or toddler develops a rash caused by peanut...

Nearly all infants are fussy at times. But how do you know when your baby's crying means something wrong? Some babies are excessively fussy...

For those who don't have experience with peanut allergies, going 'peanut-free' often seems as easy as avoiding peanut butter sandwiches and bags...

A new study shows that there may be a link to peanut ingestion in pregnant mothers and peanut allergy in their children.

Dr. Scott Sicherer...

When people think of nut allergies, they tend to think of peanuts. In fact, a sizable number of people are allergic not to peanuts (which are...

Cakes are a central part of many celebrations, from kids' birthdays to weddings. For those with severe ...

Are you looking for a high-protein snack that you can take with you? If you are allergic to peanuts, this is harder than you might think. Peanuts...

If you or a family member are allergic to peanuts, eating dinner out can pose a significant risk. Even if the menu item does not contain...