Death - 31 yr old attorney Jan 8, 2003

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 6:11am
Sue's picture
Sue

The web site is [url="http://www.thecrimson.com/"]http://www.thecrimson.com/[/url]

Following is only part of the article...

...... died Dec. 13 of an allergic reaction. He was 31.

Hankins, who was allergic to peanuts and peanut products, died after touching food containing peanut oil at a dinner party, according to friend and fellow attorney Wendell C. Taylor.

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 6:54am
Lisa V's picture

What a horrible, tragic loss.

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 7:25am
Jana R's picture

A great loss. I just wanted to add the link that I got to it with:
[url="http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=256016"]http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=256016[/url]

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 10:38am
wood145's picture

This is such a sad reminder of the fear we live with every day. I emailed the article to a few people to let them know why I get so crazy when it comes to peanuts. Such a tragic loss.
Karen

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 12:15pm
Caterina2's picture

This is so tragic and also shocking that this man died after touching food containing peanut oil. If the story is accurate in stating that this man merely touched the food, then this might be one of a few cases, if any, of someone having an anaphylactic reaction by touch alone and dying from it. This is so scary when I think of all the peanut products everywhere. The article also mentions that the epi-pen was kept in the car -- this man might have lived if his epi-pen was with him and administered right away.
[This message has been edited by Caterina2 (edited January 09, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 2:15pm
helenmc's picture

This is very sad news. Our condolences to Mr Hankins' family and friends.
Helen and Geoff
Canberra
[This message has been edited by helenmc (edited January 10, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 8:08pm
Claire's picture

The first thing that comes to my mind is this. It never gets any easier no matter how old they are. I remember so many people asking me if it gets easier as Chris gets older. We just never know. What a horrible story this is. I will have to tell Chris because maybe he will see why I bust on him all the time when he forgets his Epi Pen. Take care and my prayers are with the family. claire

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 11:46pm
river's picture

This is just so sad---such a good man too. What a horrible loss.

Posted on: Thu, 01/09/2003 - 11:47pm
McKenziesMom's picture

My heart goes out to the Hankin family. From the article, Trent was a positive role model for young adults and particularly for young kids with PA who may worry about how they can go out in the world on their own and survive.
I agree with you Claire. This brings home my big fear and my biggest source of arguments with my 12 1/2 year old DD. Why was the epipen in the car? Why wasn't it with him? I know the longer it's been since a reaction, the more relaxed a person gets.
I am always reminding my DD, keep it WITH you, NOT in the car, NOT with your friend's mother, NOT in your backpack in your locker. It's a little easier with a girl, because she now has a very cool suede purse with fringes that she carries with her everywhere, but today she's skiing with the school for electives and it basically came down to the threat that if she didn't keep the epipen with her in her fanny pack, then she wasn't going.
I think the article about Trent Hankin, and how much he accomplished and how suddenly he was taken will do more than my nagging ever will.
Take care everyone. Linda

Posted on: Fri, 01/10/2003 - 6:03am
Jana R's picture

I'm still so sad. I've been trying to find more information on what happened. Does anyone subscribe to the Boston Globe? Here's what they have free on the internet:
TRENT HANKINS, 31
Published on December 21, 2002. Author(s): Emma Stickgold, Globe Correspondent
LAWYER WHO MENTORED BLACK RECRUITS
Trent Hankins wanted Boston to be the place for young black lawyers. The Detroit native tirelessly networked with other black lawyers at major law firms - including his own, Ropes & Gray - to recruit and mentor hundreds of students, hoping to persuade them to settle in Boston.
On Dec. 13, Mr. Hankins was attending his firm's Christmas party when he went into allergic shock, apparently from something he ate. He died in the parking lot of the party site. He was 31.
"He
Click for complete article (686 words)
I also went to the Ropes & Gray site but they don't mention him - when you do a Google search on Trent A Hankins - you can see he has been on their site but the pages have been removed.
Yes, I, too will let my teenager know about this to reinforce reason to carry his epi-pen on his person.

Posted on: Sun, 01/12/2003 - 7:05am
Kim M's picture

This is so sad, and my prayers go out to his family. It really does bring home the importance of keeping the epipen close by. And I think another thing that I will be teaching my daughter is that if she feels she is having a reaction, never try to handle it by herself. If he had brought someone with him to go to the car, or sent someone to get it while he stayed with the crowd, it might have been possible to get emergency help. A very sad situation.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...