Dd had a reaction and I cannot figure out why

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 3:46am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

The reaction was not serious, but I still need to know what caused it. It happened last night immediately after dinner. I talked to the allergist this morning and he agreed it was a reaction. She 11 and is allergic to milk and peanuts. She used to be allergic to egg and had an anaphylactic reaction to egg at age 2 1/2, but outgrew her egg allergy at age 9. I hope it hasn`t come back. For dinner she had pancakes and juice. The pancakes had Bisquick (brand new box which I bought about two months ago), soy milk (brand is 8th continent, the only one not on shared equipment with cow`s milk, we were near the end of the bottle), canola oil margarine (we have used this container at least 50 times), an egg, and Divvies chocolate chips. I am totally stumped as to what caused it. I hope her egg allergy is not back. I talked to the allergist and he said as long as she eats an egg product at least once a month it won`t come back. She hates eggs, but does eat mayonaise all the time and the allergist said that mayonaise would count as an egg product and so the egg allergy should not be back. I called the company for Bisquick, read them the codes on the package. The plant for this package is peanut free/tree nut free and there are no shared lines with milk. I talked to Mark at Divvies, the choclate chips are made by another company. He is confident they don`t have milk, peanuts, tree nuts. I am sending the chocolate chips and the Bisquick off for testing. There have not been any reported reactions on the Bisquick or the Divvies chocolate chips. The allergist is having a cap rast drawn on dd today for egg, and also milk and peanuts which she was due for in a few months anyhow.

Anyone have any ideas what caused it? By the way, it is just dd and me living here, so there is no cross contamination going on in my house (no one sticking a knife in the margarine after sticking it in a milk product, etc.)

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 4:21am
amyd's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2006 - 09:00

I never knew that after outgrowing an allergy having it once a month would prevent it for sure. Is this a certainty or a "most likely" kind of scenario?
My first thought would be the egg too but I don't know. Mystery reactions are the worst. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img] Hopefully you'll have an answer soon about the egg at least.

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 5:45am
alliedhealth's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/10/2006 - 09:00

did she have syrup?

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 6:08am
starlight's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2004 - 09:00

You said she had juice, but didn't elaborate on that. What else does the juice company make? What kind of juice was it?

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 7:10am
caryn's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2002 - 09:00

could you fill us in on what the reaction was like? i too am at a loss on some recent reactions with my son who will have rast testing on dec. 4th - first time they could get us in.

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 7:58am
Naturemom's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/30/2004 - 09:00

Hi Carefulmom,
I'm sorry for your daughters reaction. Did she realize that she was reacting while eating or after she finished? The products seem safe to the best of my knowledge - I would hate for one of those to be cross-contaminated.
You have probably thought of this, but was she someplace before dinner where she might have picked up something, although she probably washed her hands before eating. What were the symptoms of the reaction - could it possibly be environmental or no chance? I hope you find out what it was; mystery reactions stink!

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 10:00am
bandbmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/14/2005 - 09:00

Hi Carefulmom - I'm so sorry to hear about your DD's reaction. I don't really have any ideas to add as to what she could have possibly reacted from (I'm sorry), but I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and your DD and hoping you find the answer to what caused her reaction.
Did she have to have an epi injection? What was the reaction like?
Hugs to you and your DD!
Tracy

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 10:05am
Gail W's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/06/2001 - 09:00

Are you also having the margarine tested for milk? Wondering if that could have cc on factory lines. . .

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 11:58am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

The reaction was just a few hives. It wasn`t serious, but I still need to know what caused it. Based on the timing, the allergist and I both feel it was a reaction. The juice was Welch`s brand Mango Twist and also Welch`s brand grape juice. I don`t see how the juice could be cross contaminated with milk, or peanuts. Gail W., I thought about sending the margarine, but I did not. I think it would have to go on ice, would be complicated to ship, and since dd has eaten margarine from that tub at least 50 times, I think it is not the margarine. I can always send it for testing later, if the other things test negative. It is very discouraging because this probably means either the egg allergy is back or she has not outgrown her milk allergy that we were hoping she would outgrow on the next blood test. She was due to have a cap rast for milk in February 2007. It is beginning to feel like the Van De Kamps incident all over again, as I am wondering if I have unknowingly exposed her to something over and over. Cooking dinner is now very stressful as we are now avoiding egg until this is settled, so I had to read the ingredients of the food in my own house to see what she could have. Normally if your child is egg allergic, you have an egg free house, so you don`t have to read the ingredients in your own house. I had to read the bread for her sandwich that I am packing for tomorrow and she wanted chicken nuggets for dinner but now she cannot have them since they have egg. No corn dogs either. She did not have syrup on the pancakes, but did have powdered sugar on them, again the container was open and had been used by us before. The Bisquick wasn`t expired. She was with me before dinner, so it couldn`t have been due to somewhere she went. She realized she was reacting right after dinner. I was doing the dishes and she came to me and showed me a few hives.

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 12:07pm
Daisy's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006 - 09:00

Carefulmom,
Not thinking about cross-contamination with the juices, but has she had the Mango before? Or since?
Good luck,
Daisy

Posted on: Mon, 11/13/2006 - 12:34pm
McCobbre's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2005 - 09:00

I have no wisdom here that hasn't been offered--or that you haven't thought of yourself.
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry she had a reaction.

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...