Daycare

Author:
Updated:
Original:

We just found out that my dd has a PA through allergy testing. She has only been served peanut butter once and she refused to eat it. My problem is that she has never had a reaction. I know that that doesn't sound like much of a problem but because she has never had a reaction the daycare does not see it as a concern. She is lactose intolerant also so watching labels is not new to me it is the checking at restaurants and the daycare. How do I get the daycare to understand the importance of the possibility of a reaction? I don't even know what I am looking for. Thanks for any input. Julie

P.S. The director of the daycare is my best friend.

On Sep 29, 2001

This is how I handled it. I bought the daycare/preschool book from FAN. It is 75.00 but I think overall it was worth it. The one problem I do have is that FAN is against peanut bans. I think the arguement that people would be conplacent is BS. ANYWAY! I was lucky enough at the first school that they went "peanut free". The school he is at now specializes in "special needs" kids, and it still freaked the Director out a little bit. I created a poster with symptoms and what to do and have 2 EPI's pens - one with each poster. One in the lunchroom and one in the classroom. Email me if you are interested, I will send the stuff to you. I also wrote a letter to the parents asking them to give me a heads up if they are bringing any special foods. I also have a medicalert bracelet on him. I think you have to be educated enough to educate others. If you take it seriously it helps them take it seriously. The poster helps in my opinion as it is an emergency plan, step 1. - etc. so that if someone starts to panic the information is right there. Dont expect the director to educate the teachers, you will need to do it.

On Sep 29, 2001

Thanks for the help. I have no idea what FAN is though. I have seen it mentioned but don't know what it is or how to get there. Thanks again, Julie

On Oct 1, 2001

I know exactly what you are going through with daycare. My son's daycare was very laid back after his first reaction. As soon as he had his first reaction, I started to research the peanut allergy, but very shortly after the first reaction he moved to another room at daycare, and they again gave him peanut products.

By this time, I knew the seriousness of the allergy so I wrote my daycare a letter asking that the daycare go peanut-free. I put in a lot of the most serious facts about the peanut allergy: how deadly it can be, how little of an amount can cause a deadly reaction, that people have died within two mintues, that it is an airborne and touch sensitive allergy, etc. My husband took in Benadryl, the epi-pen, and an epi-trainer. He showed all of the teachers how to use the trainer, and we also drew up an emergency plan.

I didn't get the daycare to go peanut-free, but they did agree to keep his room peanut-free until he is old enough to be responsible for the allergy. All of this work, raised their awareness of the allergy. They now take the allergy very serious.

I have also noticed that people tend to take allergies more seriously if the person is wearing a medic-alert bracelet, a pin, or some type of identification. (It is a constant visual reminder.)

I belive that education is the key. I also periodically give the daycare director articles about the allergy, etc.

On Oct 1, 2001

FAAN is the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. It is an organization dedicated to increasing awareness of food allergies. You can go to their site and read more about them. I know many members of peanutallergy.com are also members of FAAN. Their address is [url="http://foodallergy.org"]http://foodallergy.org[/url]

Good luck!

Related