Daughter develops allergy at 13?

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 3:44pm
morenomtej's picture
Joined: 02/14/2007 - 09:00

Hi everyone.
To be as brief as possible - my 13 year old daughter - who has eaten peanuts many many times - ate a snickers bar yesterday and within 15 minutes broke out into hives on her legs. Because her skin got this funky purple color, we went immediatly to the emergency room. They told us she was probably allergic to peanuts.
So-home with went with benadryl and an epipen to be used if needed.
Today we went to McDonald's after being told they are peanut free (plus my niece is highly allergic to peanuts but eats McDonald's without problems). My daughter ate chicken nuggets and french fries. We came home - and within 10 minutes of being home - broke out again, in hives, but worse than last night and this time the rash was on both her legs and her stomach.
This evening for dinner we had fettucine alfredo. No reaction. However, hours later after not eating anything, she began to develop hives again. They were just minor on one side of her leg from her ankle to her knee - we immediatly gave her benadryl
Each time we gave her benadryl and it seems to help.
Several questions.
1. She's 13 - has never had trouble with peanuts before - can she develop an allergy like this this late in life?
2. What in the world do snickers and McDonald's have in common? I called McDonald's - no peanut oil is used.
3. The only similiarity I could find was soy. She had the alfredo sauce (which has soy) for dinner - no reaction. Unless the small amount of hives she received hours later was a reaction - but is that possible?
ANY information you can give me would be SO HELPFUL. I set her up for testing - but can't get her in until March. I'm so nervous to send her to school because we are not totally sure what is causing the reaction.
Thanks again - sorry this post was so long -

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 4:22pm
Sarahb's picture
Joined: 01/22/2007 - 09:00

I'm new...I'm sure you'll get more answers but I think the first reaction can have rebounds and all of her symptoms can be from that first reaction and yes she can develop a peanut allergy at her age. There are some adult onset peanut allergy people on this board. Just get to an allergist as soon as you can and keep an eye on her and don't forget to take care of yourself! Good luck.

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 4:40pm
Edinview's picture
Joined: 08/25/2003 - 09:00

I'm so sorry you had to join our scary, scary world (parents of food allergic kids).
When we were diagnosed with peanut allergy, the nurses told me that it might take about 3 or 4 weeks for my child's immune system to settle down and that the hives that kept reappearing were the result of his immune system being "twitchy", and kind of on a hair trigger which would take very little to set it off. The only thing I can think of is to try a diet (for a few days so that things have a chance to calm down) that is fairly simple - no processed food, and eliminate the 8 major food allergens (wheat, soy, nuts, peanuts, egg, milk, fish, shellfish, probably missing something here but it's kinda late for me). I made everything from scratch so there were no preservatives - I suspect that the preservatives can also make a person reactive -but that's just my personal opinion. I know we tried feeding things like white rice and chicken, steamed vegetables, except for beans and peas, lots of carrots, grapes, some mashed potatoes made with chicken broth instead of milk and butter. Be aware of cross reactivity, reacting to related foods so peanut allergic individuals could become allergic to other legumes such as beans and peas even though they had eaten them the day before they became allergic to peanuts. This happened to my son, he couldn't eat beans or peas for a couple of years, then he outgrew those allergies but still has PA.
If you are new to this, please read the information on the FAAN website, foodallergy.org . I know you are worried, but I found that reading all I could about the allergy helped me feel a little more in control (as much as you can feel any control about eating something that has passed through many processes and hands) and with the sense of control comes a bit of calm.
edited to add: Since soy is also a legume, you could possibly be cross reacting to the soy.
[This message has been edited by Edinview (edited February 14, 2007).]

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 5:01pm
joeybeth's picture
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

i'm just wondering if it could be something other than peanut.....like a different food allergy (like you mentioned the possibility of) or even something new in your home (pet, detergent, etc....); or even a virus of some sort or something??? has she been sick at all with any other symptoms lately?
it's not unheard of to develop food allergies later than normal. i think someone hear posts that they developed a peanut allergy in their adult years; maybe even several posters.
hope you find out the problem(s) soon. my girls are allergic to peanut, wheat, soy egg, milk, chocolate, tomato, and several other things but the peanut is the only dangerous one for us. i do tend to think the wheat, in particular, and maybe even the milk and/or egg and/or soy contribute to the skin conditions they have and the occasional mild mystery reaction we see.
it's complicated....as you are finding out.

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 10:17pm
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Get to an allergist ASAP. Yes, it is possible that she developed a peanut allergy at that age, we do have some members that became allergic as adults.
But what you describe, while it sounds like an allergy, does not sound like a peanut allergy.
McDonald's is pretty safe for peanut allergy (McFlurries have peanut-containing stuff, but other foods are safe).
Soy is a possibitity, but it is impossible to know without getting tested by an allergist.
I suggest you keep a food diary (complete with times and descriptions of reactions)until you get to the allergist. That will help narrow down the possibilities, and give the allergist a good idea of what is going on.

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 10:22pm
Dunpun's picture
Joined: 01/26/2004 - 09:00

When we found out my son was also allergic to pupmpkin seeds last fall....his hives re-appeared for nearly 4 days. I was thinking he was allergic to everything he ate. It turned out to be the seeds (which were the first thing he ate that triggered the reaction) Of course you may not know for sure until your child is tested.
Sorry you are going thru this and hopefully you will find an answer soon.

Posted on: Tue, 02/13/2007 - 11:51pm
azzn's picture
Joined: 01/09/2007 - 09:00

I remember my sons first reaction well. I would take her to an allergist as soon as possible to confirm it is a peanut allergy you are dealing with. When my son had his first reaction it was mainly hives, our pediatrician at the time told us to continue benadryl regular for three days after as well as but him on an oral steriod, he said the reason for this was because it was common for the hives to reappear or come and go for the first 48 hours. His situation was different because he was 1 year old at the time and it was his first known exposure. Good luck, you will find a lot of useful information here. We have just found this site recently and it has been a great help.

Posted on: Wed, 02/14/2007 - 12:17am
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

I am sorry for your daughters reaction. There shouldn't be anything with peanuts at McD's. I know they do have butterfingers or peanuts for sundaes or maybe cross-contamination. My son hasn't had a problem at McD's. It is one of our standbys. Could it be viral hives?

Posted on: Wed, 02/14/2007 - 12:54am
Greenlady's picture
Joined: 06/30/2004 - 09:00

When I read your post, viral hives were the first thing I thought of, but of course it would make sense to avoid peanuts anyway until you can see an allergist and get her tested. A food diary is also a good idea.
I do know that food allergies can happen at any time, and a school nurse once told me that puberty can trigger allergies to foods previously tolerated, so it's not impossible.
But I have my fingers crossed that it's a virus - this is a great message board, but even better if you don't need it. :-)

Posted on: Wed, 02/14/2007 - 1:44am
CVRTBB's picture
Joined: 11/23/2001 - 09:00

My nephew developed anaphalaxis to fish and shellfish at age 13. His only previous allergy was to bee stings. I had many environmental allergies as a child, but have developed severe food allergies as an adult (onion, wheat, peanut, corn) so it is very possible!

Posted on: Wed, 02/14/2007 - 4:31am
lmw's picture
Joined: 11/12/2005 - 09:00

My daughter was tree-nut allergic at about aged 8. She continued to eat peanuts (as in PB&J every schoolday for lunch) and other nuts to which she had not tested as allergic to.
At age 18+, she started reacting to peanuts, and testing showed allergy to peanuts and some more tree nuts. Then she had a reaction to another tree nut, tested positive, now avoids ALL nuts of any kind. At age 19.
(We were never told to avoid any nuts other than those she tested positive to.)


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...