court issue/epipen/safety concerns

Posted on: Fri, 02/01/2008 - 4:44am
cautiousmom's picture
Joined: 04/13/2006 - 09:00

I hope someone can offer me some advice. I am going through a divorce currently. I have sole custody of my children. My daughter, age 7. has a serious peanut allergy. My children are court ordered to have supervised visitation with their father who is an alcoholic. The person who is the deemed monitor of the visits through the court doesn't have training or knowlege in food allergies and can't administer an epipen due to liability. So it is assumed that my ex, with a history of irresponsiblity and alcoholism as well a poor judgment about my daughter's allergies, is the one deemed in charge of monitoring the allergy, reactions, and epipen, etc. I am not at all comfortable with this arrangement and my attorney can't seem to find a solution. I am looking into getting my daughter a disability attorney, but am not sure if this will help either. I have spoken the the state disability law center and I've been told they can't help me either. Does anyone know of any resources or suggestions about how to handle this situation. I am asking for a monitor who can administer the epipen in an emergency, but there has been no agreement with regards to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though people I am dealing with are seeing me as an overeactive parent instead of seeing the seriousness of protecting my child's safety. I have been told things like "just get an agreement that there will be no food on the visits" which is fine, but what about accidental exposures that can occur? I am losing sleep over this issue. I hope someone can throw some help my way. I have searched the internet through and through and can find no resources to address this specific concern. HELP!!!

Posted on: Fri, 02/01/2008 - 6:13am
Marcela's picture
Joined: 11/09/2007 - 00:13

That's a hard one, but I think you need to trust that her father would do the right thing. After all, he's making an attempt to see her. Plus, she is old enough to know that she should not have peanuts. Maybe you can send her with her own food if it's during mealtime hours. Sorry if I seem insensitive, but I think your torturing yourself over something that your imagining could happen. Also, if your ex-husband is "under the influence", the court appointed monitor would end the visit. I think you can send your daughter prepared and perhaps have a conversation with your ex through your lawyers to make sure that he understands what needs to be done in an emergency.

Posted on: Sat, 02/02/2008 - 5:41am
Mrsdocrse's picture
Joined: 01/16/2007 - 09:00

who will be monitoring the visits? a state person? or is it a family member? you said because of liability? is there a good samaritan law that protects a person who is helping in an emergency?
You did not say how old your daughter is? could she give herself the epi pen if needed?

Posted on: Sat, 02/02/2008 - 10:57am
cautiousmom's picture
Joined: 04/13/2006 - 09:00

My child is 7 so not yet able to self administer. The monitor is hired through the court, not sure if state or contract though.
I am not sure if the Good Samaritan Law applies to everyone or just the medical personnel? Thanks for the reply.

Posted on: Sat, 02/02/2008 - 3:39pm
Lindensmom's picture
Joined: 09/21/2007 - 09:00

Dear cautiousmom, I just want to express my admiration for you. My Dad was an alcoholic, so I know that the actual drinking is the tip of the iceberg - alcoholism usually carries with it verbal and emotional abuse, manipulation, and lying. Kudos to you for protecting your child not only from food allergy reactions, but, more importantly, from what I gather is a very toxic environment emotionally. You are setting a wonderful example for your children.
Having said that, your child might be very safe during these visits, if no food is allowed, and this is strictly enforced. Who is the monitor? A friend or relative of your child's father, who might be prone to overlook or try to cover up signs of intoxication or other misbehavior? Or a social worker or other court worker, who would be more strict and neutral? Your last email suggests it's the latter scenario, which is good. Where do they meet? An office which really has no food in it, or someplace else? Can you get the court to stipulate that if the monitor, child, or father suspects ANY allergic reaction of any kind, they MUST contact you immediately and allow you to come and provide medical care even if it means the visit is interrupted? If that's the case, you could find a place to loiter about 10min or less away - a lobby, a coffee house, whatever, and be on standby with your cell phone.
From my first aid training, the good samaritan law applies to anybody. I'm not sure if this supersedes any particular company's policy but it is true for the general public. you might try googling it and see what comes up.

Posted on: Sun, 02/03/2008 - 4:11am
lakeswimr's picture
Joined: 02/01/2007 - 09:00

I would call faan and get the contact info for chris weiss, their legal consultant. best wishes

Posted on: Tue, 02/05/2008 - 1:27pm
cautiousmom's picture
Joined: 04/13/2006 - 09:00

Thanks for the suggestion. Chris offered a great argument for my epipen liabilty issue. This is going to be a long hard road, but I need to continue to advocate for my daughter. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated. If anyone has had experiences in court with divorce/custody related to this issue, please share.

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by MoRich Mon, 06/01/2020 - 10:06am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by Sarah McKenzie Fri, 05/22/2020 - 12:57pm
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Wed, 05/20/2020 - 9:30am
Comments: 5
Latest Post by justme Mon, 05/18/2020 - 12:36pm
Comments: 45
Latest Post by krisztina Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:49pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by chicken Thu, 02/20/2020 - 4:45pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by lexy Tue, 01/28/2020 - 12:21am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Sun, 01/26/2020 - 11:15am
Comments: 6

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

It Is Easy To Buy Peanut Free Chocolate Online

Ask any parent of a child with a potentially life-...

Peanuts can cause one of the most serious allergic reactions of all food products. Researchers speculate...

Tree nuts and peanuts are distinctly different. An allergy to one does not guarantee an allergy to the other. Peanuts are considered legumes and...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

The most frightening thing about a severe allergic reaction to a new food is that it can happen so fast. If parents are not looking for allergic...

Those with severe peanut allergies soon learn to look for the 'peanut-free sign' on any packaged food purchase. This is a notation found on a wide...

Cakes are a central part of many celebrations, from kids' birthdays to weddings. For those with severe ...

For many people with peanut allergies, baked goods present one of the most significant risks. Even if...

A recent study published in the Journal of American College of Nutrition by Mahnaz Rezaeyan Safar and a number of her colleagues has found some...

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is an overarching term for a number of progressive lung diseases, including emphysema, chronic...

For individuals suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), managing the symptoms and avoiding exacerbations can be a full-time...

Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes itchy patches of inflammation and scale on your skin. The severity of psoriasis symptoms varies...

Kim Kardashian, an immensely famous reality star and the wife of acclaimed rapper Kanye West, has spoken out about her struggle with psoriasis....

Paul Wilson, a long-term marathon runner and asthma sufferer, is urging other people with asthma to support a new campaign aimed at raising...

Psoriasis is a common skin condition that causes a buildup of cells on the skin surface, resulting in dry, red patches on the body and/or face....

Sufferers of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) will tell you that the most difficult symptom to deal with is morning stiffness. With nearly 90 percent of...

Knowing which medication is right for you can often be a confusing and overwhelming process. The specific type of asthma medication you require...

Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition that causes painful scaly patches on the skin. Although psoriasis is a very common skin condition,...

Although there are multiple treatments available for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), those suffering from the condition can still find themselves...

Patients undergoing biologic treatment for psoriasis, a relatively common inflammatory skin condition, have seen a reduction in arterial plaque...