contact exposure-how great is the risk?

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

I would like to see if anyone has any information regarding contact exposure. I have read that any ingestion exposure increases the risk of anaphylaxia the next exposure. What about skin contact? If my child is being exposed to trace amounts via skin exposure(at school, friend's house, etc..)does that actually increase the risk of a serious anaphylactic reaction if he was to injest a peanut substance?

Just want to see if anyone has any info and also where you got that info(doctor, research,etc...)

Thanks and have a healthy day! Carrie

On Jun 18, 1999

Carrie,

From what I have been told it is not the skin contact that causes an anaphylactic reaction, it is skin contact and then touching a mucous membrane such as nose, mouth, eye that would cause the life threatening reaction.

------------------ Mary Kay

On Jun 18, 1999

The severity of a reaction is based on a number of factors (per Dr. Wood at Baltimore FAN conference).

1. Type of exposure (i.e. contact, ingestion) 2. Amount of exposure (i.e. trace amount, several ounces) 3. Underlying medical conditions especially respiratory (i.e. asthma)

4. An individual's sensitivity.

I keep seeing on this board that severity increases with the number of exposures, however, I have seen no medical literature to support it. If anyone has specific medical research on the topic I would welcome it.

On Jun 18, 1999

Steve, I have been hearing that the reactions increase with severity over time but my observations (for my child) suggest the type of reaction is unpredictable (or rather we are not yet aware of the all predicting factors nor how to quantify them in any practical way). I haven't seen any peer-reviewed journal articles that say the reactions always increase in severity. The results of Dr Sampson's/FAN peanut registry should provide the information we need since participants are asked to share information on each exposure. We all need to register for this since it will provide a lot of clinical information AND statistics to strengthen our arguements when fighting schools/airlines etc.

On Jul 5, 1999

My daughter merely sat with a bare bottom while changing from swim suit to clothes at a neighbor's house that had an invisable trace amount of PB in the carpet. She had hives immediately on her bottom. I didn't know at the time what cause the hives and just gave her Benadryl. Later that evening the hives returned and within 12 hours her body had absorbed enough of the peanut protein to cause a full body rash/hives, coughing, and diarrhea that sent us to the ER. I'm not sure if this reaction could officially be termed anaphylactic or not. I've had no qualified Allergist available to tell me. Her reaction is termed "contact urticari syndrome" and you may find some related research articles on the web site called PubMed. See my post under the Research board to access the site. Or contact me again if you can't locate it. Good luck.

On Jul 5, 1999

Carrie, I looked up the research articles web site for you try this: [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed"]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed[/url] (I tried to make a dynamic link for you but for some reason it didn't work?) Good luck and let me know what you find out.

[This message has been edited by Momma Kitty (edited July 07, 1999).]

On Jul 6, 1999

Steve W.,

Didn't Dr. Wood talk about a study at the FAN Baltimore conference that indicated reactions were NOT guaranteed to get more severe? I seem to remember that... I may have reported on this study in my conference notes, which I posted right after the conference.

I know from personal experience that my own allergic reactions to cats vary quite a bit. Sometimes I can be exposed to a lot of cat hair with no problem, other times I start wheezing and sneezing immediately.

--Tracy

On Jul 6, 1999

We have 3 little guys, all peanut allergic and our youngest one, now 2 years old also is allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts. Our 2 year old (before we knew he was dairy allergic), slipped in some milk that had been accidently spilt on the floor and within seconds, Cameron broke out in hives and runny nose and watery eyes. I was so surprised. I gave him Benedryl and it cleared it up.

I spoke to my doctor who didn't think that this could be an allergic reaction, you usually have to ingest the milk/dairy product before having a reaction.

I went a spoke to our paediatric allergist, he said of course this is a reaction, we had to keep him of dairy for one year and get him tested. It's been one year, we had him tested and he is allergic to milk, egg and peanut.

I guess to get back to the original question, yes he reacted topically to dairy, I'm very afraid of how he would react if he ingested dairy. I've read that it is very unusual to be anaphyllatic to dairy and eggs? I'm not taking any chances.

Good luck to all.

Myrna

On Jul 9, 1999

Hi Myrna,

My best friend's 1 year old daughter is allergic to dairy...also by touch! My friend's 3 year old son had some milk and spilled some on his sister. She immediately broke out in hives in the exact same place she was exposed...on her thigh.

The baby has since been tested and is, I'm very sorry to say, also allergic to peanuts and has never eaten them. My friend has breastfed her since birth and is weaning her now. She has an epi pen not only for the peanut allergy but also for the milk allergy.

Nothing surprises me anymore!

Stay Safe!

On Jul 9, 1999

My son also had an allergic reaction just from touch. I had coffee sitting on a table, almost cold, thank God, which he spilled on himself. It had maybe 2 tablespoons of milk in it. Within 5 minutes, he had hives all over him, his eyes were watering, and he was sneezing. I'm assuming it was the milk, but whatever it was in the coffee, he definitely had a reaction immediately. Markus' mom...Colleen

On Jul 10, 1999

We've seen the hives appear just from touching a peanut. My 9yob was with me a few weeks ago in the grocery store. This store has a bin of loose peanuts in the produce dept. I always caution him to stay away from the bin. He picked up another vegetable from a nearby bin that evidentally a peanut had touched or a peanut was mixed in the bin & my son had hives on an area of his face within minutes. I suspect that he touched his face with his hand after he came in contact with the p'nut. He did not have any other reaction to the touch. Just hives. We had the same reaction the time he held birdseed in his hand that contained p'nuts. He wiped his eye & his face and his eye swelled and he got hives all over his face where ever he had touched. No other reaction - just hives & itching. The severe reactions have both come when he has accidentally eaten a peanut. At this time, and from what we have experienced, I don't panic from touch - I just try to keep him from ingesting it! Stay Safe!

Related