confused about latest research findings - Peanut Allergy Information

confused about latest research findings

Author:
Publish date:

Did anyone hear what I did on the news the other night? Basically it stated that a research study was conducted on PA, and the findings were that children who were not exposed to peanuts during infancy were 10 times more likely to develop PA!! I was shocked. My 5 year old son has PA among other allergies, and my 2 year old daughter has no allergies at this point. I was giving my daughter peanutbutter when she was about a year and a half old, and she had no reaction. When we discovered my son had PA, we immediately stopped giving my daughter any peanuts or nuts in general for fear she would develop PA. Now I am thinking... maybe I SHOULD be giving her peanuts and nuts to help prevent her from developing PA! I'm not sure what to do, but maybe it makes the most sense to continue to give her PB since she's never had a reaction in the past. What do you all make of this?

On Nov 6, 2008

I ate peanut butter constantly when pregnant with my first child, who is severely allergic. I did not eat any of it while pregnant with second child and tested positive as toddler, although not sure child is allergic, no actual reaction like oldest child.

I think there will be studies that say early exposure is the link and others that will say it's not. Who is conducting the study? Is it funded by the National Peanut Board, kwim? You have to do what is best for your family. Would you feel comfortable having it in your house so your non allergic child could eat it, or would it create more stress because you'd be worried about your allergic child?

On Nov 6, 2008

I have a feeling, based on the studies I've read, that time will show that avoiding peanuts in young children does nothing to prevent PA. Incidents of PA have increased dramatically while this has been the advice du jour.

I'm no doctor, though.

On Nov 7, 2008

Even though the advice recently has been to avoid giving peanut products to infants and todders, I don't know many people who have followed the advice. The people who are most careful to avoid exposing their young children are usually those who have reason to suspect an allergy, maybe because of family history, other atopic diseases or a reaction to another food. It makes sense that these children are more likely to end up with PA than children with no risk factors who are exposed to peanut prodcucts at a younger age.

My DD1 has no known allergies. We stopped having peanut products at home when we discovered her sister's allergy (DD1 was 2 at the time). However I continued to let her eat food at restaurants and other peoples' houses as she had never had a problem before.

On Nov 7, 2008

I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. My DS was diagnosed with PA at 8mo. He had an spt that was positive and a rast for peanut only. How do I know that he is truly allergic? Am I doing more harm by avoiding?

I have read a lot about the accuracy of the test and am starting to question it. I would never chance giving him peanuts or anything that could possibly contain, I just wish there was a test that gave more certainty that he is truly allergic.

On Nov 8, 2008

[b]kmoths[/b] - Has your son ever had a reaction to peanuts? Do you remember what the scores of his spt and RAST were? And was that RAST an ImmunoCap test? Just in case you haven't read them before, here are some interesting studies for you on test results and true allergies:

[url="http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/pall/abstract.00012984-200705000-00009.htm;jsessionid=JVGdByKt7CYQn8g1J2CtKM0LfC1ZQJ1kTytkKff8h6DWMkQp50j5!-1853705402!181195629!8091!-1"]Skin prick testing predicts peanut challenge outcome...[/url]

[url="http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/peanut-allergy-overdiagnosed/2007/05/15/1178995160215.html"]Peanut Allergy Overdiagnosed[/url]

We have a really interesting case at our house - my daughter recently tested >100 for peanuts on an ImmunoCap RAST but has eaten peanut products in the past without any sort of reaction. If she truly is allergic to peanuts, I will do everything in my power to keep her from them. On the other hand, I don't want to restrict her diet and lifestyle unnecessarily. It is a true conundrum.

On Nov 9, 2008

tunibell1974 - He has never had a reaction to any food. He had medium to mild eczema so his pediatrician sent us to an allergist. His spt was an 8 and the Rast 2.47. I am not sure if it was a Cap Rast or Rast. What is the diffence? We are actually on our 2nd allergist and might be going to a third. Even if I did go to another Dr., Im not sure I would even get the answers I am looking for.

On Nov 9, 2008

kmoths - The ImmunoCap is supposed to be more reliable than other versions. Boy, do I wish my child had those scores; if she did, I'd demand a hospital challenge at the earliest possible moment. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Related