confused

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 5:37am
twhite000's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2002 - 09:00

My daughter (4 1/2) had a few mild reactions to peanuts before she was tested positive. Last year, we had the blood test done and it came back low, so her allergist suggested a taste challenge. She passed with flying colors. She must have had over a tablespoon of peanut butter over a period of an hour or more at the allergist's office. He told us we could relax, that she had outgrown her allergy. A few weeks ago, my son was eating peanut butter crackers (we have it in the house again) so I asked her if she wanted to try one. I put just a little bit on a cracker and she took a bite. She didn't like it, and 10 seconds later she started screaming that her tongue hurt. Her tongue was red with small hives (?) on it, so I gave her Benadryl and an hour later she was fine. My question is, how can she pass a taste test and then have a reaction like this? I've not been carrying an epi since her test, but now I don't know what to do. Obviously, I'll never give her peanuts again, no matter what the doctors say, but I'm very confused. How cautious should I be? Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 5:58am
smack's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/14/2001 - 09:00

Call your allergist and set up another appointment for a CapRast. Sounds like she is still allergic, get a epipen A.S.A.P.
I've read about a few cases like this and how kids are passing the initial challenge test then a year later, having reactions all over again.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 9:22am
becca's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

I wonder about some of the challenges too. My dd ate PB sandwiches for a month or two, before it was obvious she was allergic, so how would one taste challenge prove anything after years of avoidance. Can't the antibodies simply decline by the absence of exposure over time?
I agree with retesting and getting epipens again. I also have thought that the immune system is not fully mature and any at risk children are best off avoiding the top allergens until at least age five. Not sure where I got that, but maybe even if they do outgrow it, perhaps it is best not to re-expose until older? becca

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 10:08am
nancy023's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/12/2002 - 09:00

I know of a boy who has done the same thing. His mom is just practicing avoidance, but I would also carry the epi. I once met an ER doc. who was allergic to only Spanish peanuts, not the other kind. Could the last jar of peanut butter have had different components? Ask your doctor.

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 10:36am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Help me out, guys... I can't remember where the report on 'allergy returning after having "outgrown" it' is!! I thought it was under Media, but I didn't find it.
I'll try a search, but I doubt I'll find it faster that way - somebody's GOT to have a better memory than I!!! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 10:52am
twhite000's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2002 - 09:00

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will have her retested. I'll definitely renew her epi pens. I'm glad this happened with me around. She starts kindergarten in the fall and I didn't really feel safe about telling them she wasn't allergic. This changes everything though.

Posted on: Sun, 01/19/2003 - 10:14pm
California Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

twhite000, I'm so sorry this has happened with your daughter. It must be so disappointing to have to deal with it all over again when you thought you were done. Although, it sounds like you were being super cautious any way. It certainly does seems odd, but as others said: maybe she had outgrown it and it came back (could this be under "research", I certainly saw a lot about it, too); or maybe her system was starting to outgrow it but that re-exposure (in the doctor's office) sensitized her again. Either way, it sounds like she was just pre-determined to have a peanut allergy. I'm sure I would have done the same thing you did. After all, we all would love to know difinitively before kindergarten, if there is any question. Good luck now - let us know what the allergist says. Miriam

Posted on: Mon, 01/20/2003 - 2:58pm
Emmie's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/27/2002 - 09:00

We had my son who we thought may be allergic to amoxicillin (due to a rash when he was about 1 1/2 that flared up and aggravated the Roseola he had at the time) go through a challenge last spring and everything turned out fine. About three weeks later he got an infection and was prescribed Augmentin. On the 6th or 7th day he ended up with a rash. When we got to the doctor (2 days later -it was the weekend) she thought it may have been the 5th disease. It had been going around previously, but I don't know. Isn't that some coincidence?! After talking it over with our allergist we are just going to stay clear of penicillin for him. Sorry for being so long with this, but I was so happy after the challenge and now I am just confused about the whole thing.
One more note...my pa child recently had a rast test done. His pa was confirmed years ago by a skin prick test. The rast test showed that he was allergic to dairy and soy. It didn't show peanut. He has never had a reaction to dairy and soy, but did have two reactions to peanut years ago.
I am really sorry about your child's reaction. I wish you all the best.

Posted on: Tue, 01/21/2003 - 7:57am
twhite000's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2002 - 09:00

I couldn't find anything about allergy returning after thinking it was outgrown either. Has anyone else found the thread?
Thanks for the support. It helps to have people who understand.
Rebecca's mom

Posted on: Sun, 01/18/2004 - 9:09pm
Nick's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2000 - 09:00

Sorry to hear of the allergy ... it's always a blow!!
If it's any help, I used to eat nuts like they were going out of fashion, then developed the allergy at age 42 !!
Do tell us more about yourself / your mum??

Posted on: Sun, 01/18/2004 - 10:00pm
chelle180's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/19/2004 - 09:00

hi nick thanks for answering me x well my mum is a bit wierd lol she said she was alergic to mushrooms but i know for a fact she has eaten them on several occasions thats why i wanted to check about the nuts. she said that nuts can kill her if eaten now but she also goes on about people walking by her with them and she said she cant handle them in the room with her. well my youngest left a pkt of nuts under her dolls house and my mum was in the room for a good while and never noticed them i didnt notice them till she had left so its a case of you dont know what to believe she eats dairy milk chocs the box and i know there is nut chocs in there but that doesnt bother her now do you see why im confused ?? xx

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...