Can someone test a \"6\" on rast test and not have severe PA allergy? More questions..

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Or am I in denial here? My son scored 6152 on the RAST which is a category 6 if over 6,000. I am awaiting my appt. with a Pedatric Allergist.

The other thing that confuses me is if he is so allergic, wouldn't he have shown some reaction to eating out or eating fast food since I hear of so much cross-contamination, etc? Our only clue he "might" be was when my husband kissed his cheek after eating pb (he has a mustache) and my son's cheek formed a slight rash. I tried putting a little smear on the back of his neck however and there was nothing. I know I am probably kidding myself, but I guess I would have expected more of a reaction if he was severely allergic. We have never given him pb directly because I am paranoid to begin with.

Any recommendations of what I should do in the meantime? I have been crying all day at the thought of this life long sentence for him. I ordered some books, but that's about it until I have my appt.

Will the skin test be more definitive in determining the level of severity? Can you have a high RAST and a low skin test?

Thanks for any input! Kate and Cole (22 months)

On Sep 5, 2001

Hello. It is my understanding that the RAST test can provide a "score" from 0-6 as to blood sensitivity, but the test cannot predict how someone will react. My son tested at a 2, almost 3 when he was 13 months old, but the Allergist/Immunologist cautioned me that it isn't a good indicator as to how severely my son might react to future exposure to peanuts. I've heard that each exposure can be different and/or cumulative. I also think that skin tests and RAST tests can yield different results. It's all a little confusing and, often, counterintuitive. The pediatric allergist that you'll be seeing will surely have much more info for you. Meanwhile, stay safe and my thoughts are with you!

On Sep 6, 2001

Kate123,

From what you posted, six is severe. My allergist got my son's RAST results back and said is his score was over 100. I asked what the exact number was and he didn't know because the lab doesn't list #'s over 100. This indicated he was severely allergic. He was tested about a month ago and will be 5 in November. He was diagnosed at 3. You can't imagine how many times he was exposed to peanuts via direct contact or cross-contamination--virtually hundreds. He has never gone into anaphylactic shock. Now go figure. His symptoms were vomiting, wheezing, and coughing. No meds were administered at the time exept for the wheezing which happened about every two months and seemed to correspond with holidays of course. Luckily, and I mean very luckily, other than the wheezing, his reactions resolved themselves. I expect his reactions to be worse in the future from what I read, but he hasn't experienced one yet since diagnosis. This can just drive a person crazy. I read about low RAST scores with multiple anaphylactic reactions, then my own experience has been a severely allergic score with no anaphylactic reactions--that is yet I mean.

On Sep 9, 2001

My son scored a 4+ on the skin test a year ago, but he scored low on the blood test. The allergist wanted to a challenge (giving him pb in the office). My son is only 2 1/2 and I do not feel comfortable by exposing him to pb now. His first reaction was last summer, he had trouble breathing.

On Sep 10, 2001

I was told that my 3 yr old has a moderate peanut allergy and she scored a 6 on the rast test. im confused. Her reactions have been lip swelling and facial hives. I gave her benadryl and she was fine. any advice?

On Oct 19, 2001

Edit.

[This message has been edited by Rhonda RS (edited January 15, 2006).]

On Oct 20, 2001

Jason scored a 6 on the RAST for peanuts, and he's never had an anaphylactic reaction. The most he's had was a swollen upper lip, his eczema flares and he gets a runny nose. We're in the process of getting an epi-pen jr.

He also scored 6's on oats (he never had a visible reaction to those), coconut, sesame, egg white, crab, lobster, shrimp and tree nuts. He's never had a life-threatning reaction to those either.

------------------

On Oct 21, 2001

Dear nervous nelly and in denial:

Guess what your in denial! My 7 year old also scored a 6 on her RAST test. She was fine the first few times she was mildly exposed, just some swelling and hives. But in kindergarden she received a piece of candy, the size of a quarter, with butterfinger in it and had a MAJOR life threatening reaction.

She had cramps, vomiting, could barely breath and dropped blood pressure.

I know each reaction is different, they do get more severe each exposure. Yours just hasn't hit that exposure time yet. Be safe and always, know how to use and carry that epi pen. You and your husband practice using it, just in case. When and if it comes time to use it your so freaked out it is hard to remember anything.

Good luck and God bless!

------------------

Related