Blood Test Score

Posted on: Wed, 04/16/2008 - 6:30am
TwinsMommy's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/17/2008 - 12:57

Okay so we were pretty sure my 19 month old son had PA and Egg. He had a small reaction at about 6 months when grandpa kissed his cheeck after eating a PB&J. Then at 16 months another grandpa gave him a bite of peanut butter bread. Bad reaction, swelling lips, eyes, hives all over face, neck and back.
So we told our ped at our 18 mths appt. and he sent us right to the lab to have a blood test and also gave us a script for 3 Epi-Pens.
So we get the results and he tested negative for egg (I don't understand this because he had another minor skin reaction after we thought he was safe) Then he tested on the low # end of the peanut allergy test. He also tested negative to other nuts.
So the # was low...what does that mean. He obviously has some pretty severe reactions that I know can get even worse. Does this mean he has a better chance of growing out of it? When the nurse told me the results she acted like I was overreacting to his allergy. If you saw this poor little boy after he had peanuts...you would know I am NOT overreacting AT ALL.
Because he tested positive should I make an appt. with an certified allergist? Is he too young to get other testing?
Sorry so long.
Kim

Posted on: Wed, 04/16/2008 - 10:05am
Newallergymom's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/09/2008 - 15:23

Hi there,
in my own opinion I would most def. seek an appt. with an Allergist. My 2 year old daughter had a very minor reaction to PB, a sunburn rash above her lip and my Pedi. sent me right to an Allergist, where she only rec'd an Skin Prick Test and no blood...although I am now wishing I did get a blood test so I could monitor her numbers through the years.

Posted on: Wed, 04/16/2008 - 10:11am
momto4boys's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/06/2007 - 09:00

My ds with PA (coincidentally also named Ryan) had a blood test done a year ago and that is when we found out about PA. He was 3 and had never had a reaction. Of course he had never been given PB as he was dairy allergic and I was holding off on introducing it until he was tested. They never told me the # though so I do not know if it was high or low or what the #'s mean. I do not think that he is too young for other testing. My ds#4 was 13 months old and they did a small panel of skin prick tests on him.
By the way, I do not think that there is such a thing as over reacting to PA especially after you see a reaction on your own child.

Posted on: Wed, 04/16/2008 - 10:27am
SkyMom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/27/2001 - 09:00

A peanut allergy can have severe reactions no matter how "low" or "high" the number is. People can have anaphylactic reactions with a 3 for example and some may have reactions with an 80. My dd has had no reactions since the first and she was for many years over 100 on the blood tests. It goes to show how unpredictable the allergy is. A reaction can occur of varying degrees as well. The best way I would recommend is to go with a peanut allergy is a peanut allergy period. A reaction could be mild at one time and then anaphylactic at the next.
I am appalled that a nurse at a doctor's office would tell a parent that they are "over-reacting". Go with your past experiences as a guide. I would recommend a referral to an allergist asap.

Posted on: Fri, 04/18/2008 - 10:07am
GinaC's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/11/2006 - 09:00

I would get a copy of all of the test results even the ones that they say are negative. You never know. Also, I completely agree with Skymom that the reaction is what counts. Some kids react with lower numbers. With allergy testing, there is no black or white.
Also, peanut is a very potent allergen and a certain percentage of kids with react even with a negative score. You've got a positive score and a history of severe reaction. Carry your EpiPen.
See our latest newsletter:
[url="http://www.allergymoms.com/uploads/newsletters/allergymoms_newsletter_04_15_08.html"]I wish I was the parent who was warned.[/url]
Not all medical personnel will do what they are supposed to do.
Take care,
Gina
[url="http://www.allergymoms.com"]http://www.allergymoms.com[/url]
PS I think the answer to your other question is "yes" by the way. Those with lower scores in general have a higher chance of outgrowing.

Posted on: Sun, 07/13/2008 - 5:35am
logan's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/12/2008 - 12:42

your child had a score of an 80 and outgrew her peanut allergy??
that is uplifting for me... i think. I am following all the precautions and reading every label in hopes for my son to outgrow his allergy. He has had a low wheal with skin prick test but high number - 91.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...