Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities - Ontario, Canada

Posted on: Mon, 11/20/2000 - 1:35am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

I know I had posted about the SSIS for Americans over the week-end. I very quickly realized that even if someone was receiving the benefit, they would be very reluctant to come into this board and post it. Same goes for Canadians.

Is there any financial help out there for low-income families who have a PA child - to buy the name brands foods we are required to buy, the MedicAlert bracelets, the FAN and AAIA memberships, the posters, videos, and literature (mostly from FAN) to help educate our children's schools?

I recognize that my quest in finding answers and desseminating the information to others will have to basically be off-the-board as no one is going to straight out admit that they need help financially to the world world (on this board).

I do need an American that would be able to help me with this to help with Americans who have questions that I am unable to answer or provide further information about.

Based on my SSIS question, and the fact that I know my girlfriend receives money from the Canadian government because her daughter has clubfeet and therefore requires "good" shoes, etc., I have followed-up and tried to find some Canadian information.

This also originally comes from me, when I first came to this site, Chris at contacted me to welcome me (he's probably horrified now that he did) and he told me that a lot of media reads this board and gets information about PA from it (therefore, my questioning of everything all the time) and that he has a lot of single mothers posting on here. But, if you try and find them, by posts alone, of course, you can't. And that's the way it should be.

In Ontario, covered under the Ministry of Community & Social Services, there is a program entitled Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities.

I called there this morning. When I spoke with the woman on the telephone, I explained the situation of the woman with the daughter with club feet and she said that you have a form and have to meet certain criteria, which this child must have met. I asked her to send me a copy of the form so I could dissect it. As soon as I get it, I'll be back in here posting! Well, you know I'll be back in here posting before I get the form, but I'll be back in posting in this actual thread re the form and whether it applies even remotely to PA.

To obtain my copy of this form, I called a Barrie #, which may be helpful for anyone else wanting to call, they could try the Barrie # and then get the proper # for the part of the province they are in. The Barrie # is (705) 737-1311.

I do have information about a couple of other things that require some financial outlay, which I will not name, to protect the places themselves, but, if anyone does need help in sorting things out financially with regard to PA and would like to contact me with a specific question, I can be reached at [email][/email]

I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from. I have always been able to budget Jesse's PA into my grocery shopping, it's something that simply comes naturally, but if you look at the increased prices of buying name brand for a month over store brand, what costs are we really talking about here? When it comes to ensuring the safety of our child's lives, the cost is NOTHING! But, when faced with a really tight budget, as I'm sure some people must be posting on this board, how do you figure it out.

Again, if anyone is interested in contacting me, please feel free to do so. Since it is off-the-board, of course, your e-mail would be held in the strictest confidence.

I actually know another PA Mom who is thinking of setting up a website for low-income families to be able to access the information, posters, etc. that some are not able to purchase as readily as they should be able to.

I hope I have not said anything whatsoever offensive in this post. It is just something that I started to work with with one other PA parent off-the-board recently here, but they're American and I don't think there are only a couple of people posting here that may be hard strapped financially. However, again, the whole board doesn't need to know it so that's why I've taken it off-the-board.

Best wishes! [img][/img]


Posted on: Mon, 11/20/2000 - 6:24am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Okay, this has to do with the provincial government so I feel comfortable posting about this because if you searched the web somewhere you may possibly find this information anyway, and it in no way affects a foundation such as MedicAlert or FAN (both of which I do have information about but will only share off-the-board).
If you are in a low-income situation in the province of Ontario, and I am not clear if you have to be on Ontario Works (our form of welfare) or Ontario Disability Supplement Plan (our form of disability within the province), you are issued a drug card each month that covers certain medications. However, the Epi-pen is NOT covered under this drug card.
Again, I am not sure if you have to be on some type of provincial assistance, whether welfare or disability, but you could check with the prescribing doctor. If you are on either of the above-noted, and require an Epi-pen, you have to ask your doctor to complete a Section 8 for the Ministry of Health. Your Epi-pens will then be paid for by the Ministry of Health.
What I'm trying to say is that anyone of low-income, whether they are on assistance or not, should check with their prescribing doctor to see if it is possible to have a Section 8 filled out to obtain however many Epi-pens one requires. If you are not on assistance, I am not clear what type of documentation you would have to provide to your health care provider. But, I do know that if you are on government assistance, you can request an Epi-pen, through your prescribing doctor filling out what is called a Section 8 and submitting it for approval to the Ministry of Health. Given the nature of the medication and the immediate need for it, it is usually approved very quickly.
This is one area regarding PA, and a very costly one if you have a limited drug plan, where I may or may not have an answer. It will come down to whether or not you have to be on provincial government assistance to be allowed to have your prescribing doctor fill out a Section 8, something I am not sure of.
Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Tue, 11/21/2000 - 2:51pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Okay, I spoke with an Ontario Works' worker to-day. Ontario Works is Ontario's welfare system. This is separate, but operated by the same people as the Ontario Disability Supplement Plan.
In the Ontario Works' outline, there is a section in there for special diets. I asked the worker if this included PA and I told her why (increased costs on a very limited food budget due to having to buy name brand items, etc.). She checked her manual for me. Right now, only diabetics are allowed a special allowance for their food needs, or people that require high protein diets because of a medical condition. PA is not covered.
She did tell me that she thought I had a good point and that I should write to the Ministry of Community and Social Services, the Minister in Charge, Mr. John Baird.
Also, I'm not clear if pregnant women are still allowed to receive the $37 per month extra they used to receive while pregnant once our beloved Premiere Harris decided that "they" were all drinking and smoking the $37 away!
Also, Ontario Works' does not cover any costs towards buying a MedicAlert bracelet.
In different parts of the province, it may cover the purchase of an Epi-pen (over and above the drug card recipients receive), but this is changing to become a province wide responsibility of the Ministry of Health.
If you are on social assistance in the province of Ontario, you should first check with your municipality to see what they do, but it is going to be the responsibility of the Ministry of Health. This means, that to obtain an Epi-pen, you go to your family doctor and ask him to complete a Section 8 for the Epi-pen. The Section 8 is then submitted to the Ministry of Health. Given the nature of the medication, approval is usually given quite quickly.
And, that was my research part for to-day.
Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Tue, 11/21/2000 - 2:58pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Also, as I believe I said in another thread of this nature, I know that because of it's very nature, I may get no response whatsoever, which is okay. I simply want the information to be here for those who need it and certainly those who need it don't have to feel that they have to post something for the whole board to read.
I am also available to discuss anything re this off-the-board at [email][/email]
I'd like to say that this little research project of mine actually stems from dealing with another PA parent on this site. Again, a wonderful thing about this site! Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Sun, 12/03/2000 - 11:51pm
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Ummmm, Cindy, if you want people to email you, I'd think you'd better provide the address! LOL. Well, it looks like I've given myself away by posting here!
What an absolutely Fascinating topic you've started. By nature of my job and my life experiences, I think I'd be able to find information for people regarding US government assistance for allergy jewelry, prescriptions, and food for low-income families. Well, throughout the US might be a tad difficult. I'd definitely be able to speak for Massachusetts.
Actually, I can give an overview right now of food assistance for pregnant women and small children. In the US, we have a program called WIC, "Women, Infants, and Children." They provide the following foods for free (the amount will differ according to family size): Milk, cheese, eggs, frozen juice, cereal, peanut butter (BLAH), dried beans, infant formula (Enfamil, I believe, including the soy formula and perhaps the hypoallergenic stuff too) and carrots. You also get coupons for free fruits and veges from your local 'farmer's market.' I believe that's about it. The beans and pb are interchangable. Of course, what child wants to have a great big bean sandwich??? I'll call our WIC this week and see if they would allow a soy-nut butter type of spread instead of the pb. I seriously doubt it.
If I come up with more info., I'll post it here.

Posted on: Sun, 12/03/2000 - 11:55pm
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

HELLLOOOOOOO, How stupid am I? I just read your above post more closely and OF COURSE you included your email.
Oh well, that doesn't change the fact that I Wanted to post my response out here in public.

Posted on: Mon, 12/04/2000 - 1:10am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

L&MJoe, thank-you for being my American partner for this, or at least for part of America. I guess I should really clarify in that the information I'm finding out right now is also province-specific, i.e., Ontario.
But, I do believe that any piece of information that gets posted about programs, etc., it does help people in other provinces and other states, to at least check with their different agencies or perhaps the same agency. I do know that we have welfare throughout the country of Canada. Of course, it is not all the Ontario Works program and in some cases, people may fare a lot better than they do under Ontario Works when it comes to coverage for certain items re PA. I'm not clear.
So, L&MJoe, thank-you, you're American, MA specific, and I'm Canadian, Ontario specific, and hopefully the two of us can help some families out.
I cannot express appropriately here how good I feel about you joining in this with me. Any information that is American specific, regardless of it being state specific is VERY important as I still believe the majority of people posting are American. There are a lot of Canadians on here, but again, I think most are Americans. Thank-you SO much. I needed someone to help me sort this out.
As far as the package I called for, I still haven't received it, but again, I'm dealing with the Ontario Government. And, oh, yes,
our beloved Mr. Harris DID, in fact, take the $37 pregnancy allowance away from "those people". Why feed and vitamin pregnant woman who he considers "those people" when, of course, they're only pregnant with another one of "those people"! I could go on, but I'll close my mouth very quickly right now!
Clearly stated, without the rant, he did remove the $37 pregnancy allowance.
L&Mjoe, thank-you again, I can't thank you enough! [img][/img] Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Mon, 12/04/2000 - 3:39am
morgansmom's picture
Joined: 04/29/2000 - 09:00

I noticed that medical alert is taking donations from their members to help other members afford the purchase of a medic alert bracelets. I just received a letter from them not too long ago and have no further information, but if this is your situation you may want to contact medic alert!!
I know my husband and I really struggled with all of the purchases of medic alert, videos, posters, epi belts, epi trainers, epi pens etc... The purchases all seemed to come at once, upon entering school! We are a single income family now! Good Luck to all!

Posted on: Mon, 12/04/2000 - 6:20am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Morgansmom, thank-you for your thoughtful post. Now, when it comes to MedicAlert, I have VERY specific information for Canadian MedicAlert, but I am only comfortable sharing this off-the-board. I don't believe MedicAlert would approve of me sharing what I know on the world wide web and I do respect that. If anyone needs information on MedicAlert and/or FAN, please e-mail. I have informatin specific to both of them if you are having trouble raise funds. Morgansmom,
I'll e-mail you off-the-board later re this although you did mention that you already had it covered, but simply FYI. Many thanks for your post though - I got the same letter from MedicAlert also, along with their new product brochure recently too. Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Wed, 12/06/2000 - 12:46pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Okay, I received my package from Ontario's Ministry of Community and Social Services for Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities.
It's fairly clear from it's wording that a food allergy is probably not considered a severe disability, but just for the he** of it, I'm going to try this out for a "test case" if you will to see how it turns out.
I will type out a couple of things from the form explaining who can apply and why.
"The needs of each handicapped child are different. The nature of these special needs determines the basic allowance. To be eligible for Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities the following basic requirements must be met:
[img][/img] the child must be 17 years old or less, and
[img][/img] the child must have a severe handicap which results in a functional loss as described below; and
[img][/img] extraordinary costs, incurred because of the handicap, must be present.
What is a severe handicap which results in a functional loss?
This means an ongoing mental or physical condition which results in a major loss of ability to engage in any activity considered necessary to normal daily living (i.e., walking, self-feeding, dressing, personal hygiene, communication, etc.)"
Now, obviously, when it comes to the functional requirement, I'm going with the "etc." in the normal daily living part.
Under Specialized Expenses for the Handicapped Child, this is the list. I know what I would consider appropriate for a PA child but other people may have differing views.
[img][/img] Transportation costs to doctor/clinic/hospital
[img][/img] Babysitting (trained sitter)
[img][/img] Extra clothing, diapers, pants, linens
[img][/img] Special shoes/boots
[img][/img] Special diet
[img][/img] Extra laundry/cleaning costs
[img][/img] Equipment for hearing impaired
[img][/img] Drugs not covered by existing plan
[img][/img] Surgical supplies not covered by A.D.P.
[img][/img] Dental costsw not covered by existing plan
[img][/img] Educational and social expenditures
[img][/img] Special learning/development equipment
[img][/img] Specialized day care (actual cost paid by parent)
[img][/img] Special education
[img][/img] Special summer camp fees
[img][/img] Parental relief program
[img][/img] Other Expenses (specify)
[img][/img] Necessary Home Repairs
[img][/img] Repairs to special equipment"
I know it is a really LONG shot, but I'm going to submit it and see what happens. Of course, it might take me awhile to get the application in and get an answer, but I really feel the need to do this simply to see if there is any assistance whatsoever available to PA parents.
That's my information for to-day. Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Sat, 04/10/2004 - 11:50pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Simply re-raising to compliment another thread under Main Discussion. [img][/img]
Best wishes! [img][/img]


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...