Are all PA/TNA\'s \"severe\"?\"

Author:
Publish date:

Hi all, Just wondering if all PA/TNA's are severe? I would assume so since you never know what the next reaction could be (god forbid)...but just wanted to know if your allergists labeled the diagnois as mild, severe...etc...

thx

On Mar 13, 2008

well, I dont know if an allergist would say it is NOT severe, IYKWIM, since no one really knows what the reaction may be.

My allergist just labels from 0 to 4+ My DS was 4+ I asked if this meant very severe & the nurse basically said, it was a strong reaction but really any # you never know what the reaction will be.

someone may have diff. insight...but I guess I just thought of the fact that it was PA it was severe...?

On Mar 13, 2008

check out this quote[img]/boards/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/[/img][img]/boards/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/[/img]

[b]Is there any such thing as a "mild" peanut allergy? by Todd Green, MD - from allergymoms.com[/b]

This is a very frequent topic of confusion. Individuals and their family members often assume that because prior reactions to ingestions only involved mild skin symptoms, for example, that future reactions will not involve anything more. Unfortunately we know from studies of serious reactions that the severity of a future reaction cannot be predicted from past reactions. While having a history of anaphylaxis definitely raises concern for a risk of anaphylaxis in the future, it is simply not safe to assume that reactions will remain mild just because they always have been.

On Mar 14, 2008

Thanks guys, I am just so confused. I am def. going to read that aritcle.

My daughter only had a mild red spot appear over mouth when she ate some crunchy PB, but becuase PB is so "taboo" I wanted her checked. Now tell me if this makes any sense...the docs never did a blood test on her, just a SPT for peanuts and Tree Nuts, and only peanuts came back positive.

should she have had a blood test? and I wonder all the time she was exposed to peanut oil in the past like at a restaurant, but was fine...its jsut a mind playing allergy, as you all can relate!

thanks!

On Mar 14, 2008

DS's allergist hasn't run a blood test on him either. Since they say the SPT are more accurate he doesn't like to do the blood tests. DS goes back for another SPT in May but then we are moving later that month to TX. When we get to TX I plan on finding an allergiest that will do a yearly CAP-RAST to monitor the numbers. Since we caught his allergy so early I'm hopefull that keeping all pn/tn away from him he will have a greater chance of outgrowing it. He also tested positive for pn but not tn. I just keep all tn away as well because of possible cross-contamination.

Last time DS had his SPT his eczema was HORRIBLE later that day, but this was before I knew he was pa and I ate at chic-fa-la before we went to the appt (I was still nursing) and when I told his allergist about how bad his skin was and wondering if it was from CFL or the SPT he discounted both of those and said it wasn't likely. I'm not very fond of our allergist but he is the only pediatric allergist in this town. In reading a SPT rarely causes a reaction but it is technically an exposure. I'm actually a bit worried about the next SPT because I KNOW that is likely what caused DS to break out so bad last time. I can't wait to get to TX and find a new allergist!

I have read/heard the same things about severity of pa/tna that because you can't tell what one reaction would be from another that they are all considered severe.

On Mar 14, 2008

We went to a very good practice at a top hospital in MA, and I know I am NO doctor or specialist..just a concerned mom who wants the best for DD, but I wonder if the SPT was enough, and why a blood test wasnt done, to monitor the numbers..i.e if they rise or fall.

we too are refraining from TN as well...no nuts in this house! my DD only had one patch of eczema on her face when she was a baby, and it magically went away when she turned 1 she was just diagnosed with the PA last week, and just turned 2

On Mar 14, 2008

I was just thinking about starting a post similar to this subject, then I saw this. I'm wondering the same thing: Does peanut allergy=anaphylaxis? I mean, is it inevitable? My daughter had a contact reaction, then was positive SPT, no RAST was done. Our allergist has a PA and his reaction is reliably the same every time and doesn't involve respiratory symptoms, at least he treats before it does. Anyway---just looking for some input....

On Mar 15, 2008

Mom2angels... From what I have been finding out, there is just no way to answer this...becuase you could be safe 9 times out of your 10 allergic reactions, and then on the 10th one experience something different....thats what i have been reading/hearing, etc...

i apoligize if i had asked before, but what was the size of your daughters wheal from the SPT and how old was she when she was diagnosed...and has she ever eaten anything with p in it, or just strictly contact

thx

On Mar 15, 2008

There is *NO* test that will tell you for sure your peanut/tree nut (or any food) allergic child will have only mild reactions. NO test like that exists but if they make one I'll be first in line. :) Please treat any food allergy (talking IgE mediated food allergies, not sensitivities) seriously and as potentially life threatenign by totally avoiding and carrying epis, etc.

On Mar 18, 2008

I just got back from the AAAAI conference in Philadelphia. One of the workshops discussed test scores and chances of outgrowing. I'm not a doctor but in my terms, they said that allergies (at least milk and egg) are taking longer to outgrow. Also, previous reactions, even serious ones do necessarily lesson ones chances of outgrowing an allergy but in general, very high rast numbers mean the chances are not as good for outgrowing.

In regards to your other question, I would agree that it would be helpful to have the blood test done to monitor the numbers over time. It seems reasonable to ask for that.

Take care, Gina [url="http://www.allergymoms.com"]http://www.allergymoms.com[/url]

On Mar 19, 2008

My niece got mild rashes from peanut consumption early on, skin tested positive for allergy and was told to avoid peanuts (I don't know what the score was). No epi-pen prescription for her (same doc as my dd, and he is as cautious as can be so I trust that he truly felt it wasn't necessary); she avoided peanuts for years, was re-tested, came up negative, and now eats peanuts. I think this was a case of a more serious allergy being avoided because of taking precautions. I don't think anyone can say for sure that her allergy wouldn't have developed into something serious, even though it started out as something mild.

I think it is really very individualistic. My daughter was so reactive to so many foods and had high test results on everything so it is easy to assume that her peanut allergy is more likely to be severe. For my niece, I'm sure there were many times when she got exposed, ate something cross-contaminated, etc. She hadn't had any reaction that made it necessary for them to be anywhere near as careful as we have to be, but the overall avoidance probably helped her "outgrow" her PA potential. So, my opinion is, yes, there can be "mild" allergies, but they have the potential for developing into severe ones, and I think that is why doctors are screening kids for PA more and more.

On Mar 24, 2008

Here's a link to the article by Dr Todd Green on "Mild" peanut allergy. [url="http://www.allergymoms.com/uploads/newsletters/allergymoms_newsletter_01_27_08.html"]"Mild" Peanut Allergy?[/url]

Take care, Gina [url="http://www.allergymoms.coml"]http://www.allergymoms.coml[/url]

On Mar 24, 2008

Thanks Gina. I appreciate all your feedback and info!

Related