Anyone going to 2004 FAAN conferences?

Posted on: Sun, 04/11/2004 - 11:54am
Driving Me Nutty's picture

I thinking about attending FAAN's conference in Chicago on May 15th (not yet registered though). I've never been before. Anyone else thinking about going? It would be fun to meet up with local PA'ers from the board.

[url="http://www.foodallergy.org/conferences.html"]http://www.foodallergy.org/conferences.html[/url]

I've never been before...are they worthwhile? Anyone know where in Chicago this one is? I only see reference to a hotel in Itasca.

And here's the link regarding last year's conferences [url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/003427.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/003427.html[/url]

Thanks!
Pamela

------------------
Pamela
~ Mom to Karissa 6/29/01 (PA>100 CAP RAST and TNA level 3) ~

Posted on: Mon, 04/12/2004 - 12:40am
Chicago's picture

I have been to the FAAN conference several times. I have found it interesting. You can see the specific topics on their web site. I find that the morning always has some general information that I found most helpful in the beginning, but not so much now 8 years into this.
They have a seperate program for teens and parents of teens that I think is a great idea and that I intend to go to with dd when we reach that point. In the teen years the issues and peer pressures change and that looks like a great way for the kids to discuss their challenges with peers.
The hotel is right off of Route 53, very near the 290 or 90 junctions, so it is easy to find. You are seated at lunch at round tables by zip codes which makes it very easy to meet others from your area and compare notes on doctors, schools etc...
It is a large conference and while they take as many questions from the audience as possible, you should not expect to get any one on one time with the speakers.
I am not sure if I will go this year, due to other crazyness, but I would reccomend it.

Posted on: Fri, 04/16/2004 - 2:18am

re-raising...

Posted on: Fri, 04/16/2004 - 5:11am
e-mom's picture

I [i]might[/i] be able to attend. I don't know what our schedule is that far in advance. So I will have to wait and see.

Posted on: Sat, 04/17/2004 - 12:36pm
Mary Kay's picture

It is a good conference. A lot of people from the Chicago area attend. There are 3 support groups locally and all are represented at the meeting. You can sit with your local support group or by zip code. You are able to write down questions to be answered by the speakers. Lunch is always wonderful for those with food allergies. This is the only place you will find ingredients listed for each food item available. I highly recommend attending.
------------------
Mary Kay

Posted on: Sun, 04/18/2004 - 9:44pm
samirosenjacken's picture

I am going to the baltimore one on saturday! I am very excited about it! Chicago is an awesome town! If you can go, I'd suggest saving some time to spend in the windy city!

Posted on: Mon, 04/19/2004 - 12:17am
e-mom's picture

Pamela,
How far in advance must a person register for this conference?

Posted on: Mon, 04/19/2004 - 3:53am
CorinneM1's picture

I am thinking about it. I have to check with hubby to make sure that he is clear for the day so that I could have him stay with the kids. I am in Chicago, so I would like to go if only for the opportunity to meet others in my area and swap info on hospitals, doctors etc.

Posted on: Mon, 04/19/2004 - 7:32am
blair's picture
blair (not verified)

Samirosenjacksen,
I've gone many times to the Balt. one and had considered going this year, but it my Mom's birthday and the conference has covered lots of same info. for the past couple of years. I enjoyed meeting people the most last year.-- I've gone about 8 or 9 times- two times when it was in VA. Please post what you think of it this time.
I'd go if I could attend the teen session for parents. but rules are the teen has to be there for teen session. My teen doesn't want to go-- It makes him feel too down because he's never met anyone with more food allergies than he has. Three years ago the group of kids to another event we went to were so shocked at his lists of outgrown and what he was still allergic to at that time.
I hope you have a wonderful time and post about it, please.
Blair

Posted on: Tue, 04/20/2004 - 7:13am

e-mom, I don't know if there is a deadline. Probably just whenever it fills up.
I noticed in the flyer that I got in the mail, it indicated that to get a full refund, cancellations need to be made by 5pm CST on the Tuesday before the conference.
I had been waiting to see if my sister could go w/me as a guest but she can't so I'm going to send in my registration today.
Pamela

Posted on: Sun, 04/25/2004 - 9:54am
e-mom's picture

Just reraising to help me remember [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...