Anne Munoz Furlong Funded by Peanut Foundation ($14,000) to Show Bans Don\'t Work

Posted on: Thu, 06/07/2001 - 4:49pm
EILEEN's picture

I know there has been some disagreement over whether FAAN has a position on the "ban" or is deliberately not taking a position. I found the following information at
[url="http://oit.caes.uga.edu/peanuts/"]http://oit.caes.uga.edu/peanuts/[/url]

"...This website is designed to facilitate the organization and focus of the research effort on peanuts. It is meant to be a quick and easy method for all involved in this research to keep updated on who is funding the research. It is also meant to identify the institutions and individuals are who are conducting the research. Finally it is intended to help in understanding the goals of the peanut industry in regard to peanut research......"

Just select "Peanut Ban" under "Keyowrds" or select (yes select not type) Anne Munoz Furlong's name under Principal Investigator and this is what you will find.

"........Educate the Educator
Communicate with principals, nurses, and dieticians in U.S. schools about how to manage students which have peanut allergy. This education should offer the more effective programs of educating school decision makers and parents on how to manage the children with food allergies. The decision makers and parents should also be educated that bans do not work.
Agency/Department: Virginia Tech
State: VA
Duration: April, 1999 - March, 2000
Type of Project: Research
Keywords: Education , Allergy , International Market , Allergens , Peanut Bans
Funding Source(s): Foundation Funding, $ 14000.00
Principal Investigator: Ms. Anne Munoz Furlong
Contact Phone: 703-691-3179
Contact FAX: 703-691-2713
Contact E-mail: n/a...."

If the above is true (since we can't believe everything on the web)then the CEO of FAAN is/was the principal investigator of a Peanut Foundation Study with the following goal "..The decision makers and parents should also be educated that bans do not work..." The study is not trying to establish whether an ban is effective or not, it has already decided what the answer should be.

It does appear then FAAN has, or soon will, be taking up a VERY strong position against a ban. Now I'm not surprised that "to ban or not to ban" is not open to discussion at FAAN meetings (yes I tried!).

Again, as a FAAN member I certainly have not been made aware of the amount and purpose of this particular $14,000 "grant."

[This message has been edited by EILEEN (edited June 08, 2001).]

Posted on: Thu, 06/07/2001 - 5:02pm
EILEEN's picture

To put the above grant in context, I selected allergy as a topic and came up with
only $1,500 for Peanut Allergy Vaccine Development (Agency/Department: Oklahoma State University) funded by the State Grower Association Funding, with the Principal Investigator (as directed by the Peanut Foundation)!
FAAN gets another $15,875.00 to support "Food Allergy Education for Educators
Support" programs in schools all over the US to help educate education personnel on the management of food allergic children from the Peanut Foundation.
Lastly, $42,969.00 was for Dr Peter Vadas (University of Toronto) to investigate PAF-AH deficiency which is? associated with fatal peanut anaphylaxis (see post in RESEARCH)
[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum16/HTML/000074.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum16/HTML/000074.html[/url]
Again the grant was from the The Peanut Foundation.
[This message has been edited by EILEEN (edited June 08, 2001).]

Posted on: Thu, 06/07/2001 - 9:30pm
arachide's picture

Thanks for the information.
Rather unsettling revelations... Why wasn't I overly surprised?

Posted on: Thu, 06/07/2001 - 11:28pm
PattyR's picture

I agree this is unsettling. It is difficult to perform an objective study when it is funded by someone who will benefit from certain results.

Posted on: Fri, 06/08/2001 - 3:01am
Corvallis Mom's picture

Unsettling? Yes.
This is just BAD SCIENCE... this is why the federal government and most scientific governing agencies have such strict guidelines about research!!!! This is EXACTLY why drug companies are not in charge of clinical trials- clinicians and universities are, because they are (at least in theory) unbiased. ARRRRGGGGG!!!!
If you are wondering why the strong response to this subject, this is one of my personal hot-buttons in that nobody (even in the realm of basic research) these days seems to understand the idea of the "scientific method" as applied to any kind of research these days. Here goes:
1. Observe natural/artificial phenomenon and formulate questions about it.
2. Propose reasonable explanation for these observations.
3. Plan a way to test this explanation to see if it is *incorrect* (that's right, I said INCORRECT. A hypothesis cannot ever be proven definitively CORRECT.)
4. Carry out test(s) and make certain result is reproducible.
5. Evaluate your explanation and if necessary make adjustments to it to reflect what you found in step 4.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 as needed.
Grrrrrrrr...... this is why physical scientists scoff at some social scientists who (apparently) figure that planning experiments to "prove" what they believe is actually good "science". That kind of work just isn't publishable in major physical science and medicine journals, because reviewers will laugh at you and serve you up with fries.
Sorry. I know I am ranting, but this REALLY makes me hopping mad.

Posted on: Fri, 06/08/2001 - 5:42am
Anne Parrish's picture

Wow, Eileen, what an amazing find! I am kind of stunned by the starkness of the words on the page... "The decision makers and parents should also be educated that bans do not work."

Posted on: Fri, 06/08/2001 - 7:05am
KevinsMom's picture

If this information is accurate - as we all know web info can be suspect, it would be interesting to see the results of this study. Specifically, I would like to know what methods were determined to be the most effective in managing food allergic children in the school setting.

Posted on: Sun, 06/10/2001 - 4:18pm
EILEEN's picture

I wanted to clarify that this money was awarded to Ms Furlong (FAAN) as GRANT to conduct the

Posted on: Mon, 06/11/2001 - 12:26am
river's picture

Actually the tobacco industry has been involved in an "education" campaign for teenagers which does contain highly questionable content.
Thanks Eileen for discovering this information. It's very disturbing to say the least and parents of PA children should be asking an awful lot of questions. It's one thing for the peanut industry to fund legitimate scientific research and quite another for them to pay someone to come up with a given conclusion. The apparent immorality of the situation leaves me feeling ill.
I'll also be bringing up questions to Dr. Vadas, when the next appointment is scheduled.

Posted on: Mon, 06/11/2001 - 6:35am
Milkmom's picture

I am so sick of how much influence corporations have over our lives! It is disgusting!
I was about to join FAAN, but after learning this, I will forget about it. I will not contribute to an organization that cares more about catering to major financial contributors than it does about keeping our kids safe.
$14,000 is a bargain for them. Imagine how much peanut butter would not be sold in the U.S. if ALL schools banned it? Millions of dollars a year would be lost by the peanut industry surely. I'm sure they already have millions of dollars at stake directly from school districts who still use peanut butter regularly. And I'm sure they are scared to death of people like us who want a ban on peanuts!
We better watch out. They'll probably send representatives to our homes to 'rough us up' until we agree that peanuts should be allowed in schools.

Posted on: Mon, 06/11/2001 - 7:02am
chasie's picture

Shouldn't they just say a peanut ban may not keep kids safe. I know a reaction can still happen, but They are more likey to be safer if a ban is up and running right. Just saying it wouldn't work at all isn't right.

Pages

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

Click on one of the categories below to see all topics and discussions.

Latest Discussions

Latest Post by beachgal2020 Thu, 07/09/2020 - 2:17pm
Comments: 173
Latest Post by beachgal2020 Thu, 07/09/2020 - 2:08pm
Comments: 714
Latest Post by beachgal2020 Thu, 07/09/2020 - 1:51pm
Comments: 483
Latest Post by doggydude (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2020 - 6:06am
Comments: 9
Latest Post by doggydude (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2020 - 6:00am
Comments: 14
Latest Post by SmilinMo Tue, 06/09/2020 - 11:29am
Comments: 7
Latest Post by MoRich Mon, 06/01/2020 - 10:06am
Comments: 6
Latest Post by Sarah McKenzie Fri, 05/22/2020 - 12:57pm
Comments: 6
Latest Post by JRM20 Wed, 05/20/2020 - 9:30am
Comments: 5

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Peanuts and Nuts Can Trigger An Asthma Attack

According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAI), more than 3...

There are more "peanut-free" products than ever on the supermarket shelves. This means more choices than ever for peanut-allergic shoppers and...

It Is Easy To Buy Peanut Free Chocolate Online

Ask any parent of a child with a potentially life-...

How Do You Determine If A Food Is Safe For A Peanut Allergic Person?

The answer varies. “Peanut-free” means different things to different...

Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a New Drug Application for an epinephrine auto-injector (EAI) designed for use with...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...

It can be easy to overlook the presence of nut allergens in non-food items because the allergens are often listed by their Latin or scientific...

It’s hard to think of Chinese food without thinking of peanuts. China is the world’s leading peanut producer, and that’s not a coincidence....

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

My mom was at a lakeside restaurant enjoying fish and chips when her mouth began tingling. The next day at a family gathering, we had grilled...

Peanuts and peanut oil are cheap and easy additives to food and other commercial goods. It is surprising (and alarming if you have a...

Vegetable oil is healthy before it is hydrogenated and a process that requires adding hydrogen to unsaturated fats. Oils that are often...

Although it's true that peanuts are in many snack items, there are several snacks that do not contain peanuts. Anyone who has a peanut...

The most frightening thing about a severe allergic reaction to a new food is that it can happen so fast. If parents are not looking for allergic...

It may never be safe to begin feeding peanut butter to your baby or toddler if you have peanut allergies in your family. If either parent or one...

Families who have food allergies are familiar with reading food labels and of being aware of everything that they or their allergic child eats....

If a parent is alert and observing their toddler when peanuts are first introduced, the chance of the child receiving help if she has a reaction...

For those who don't have experience with peanut allergies, going 'peanut-free' often seems as easy as avoiding peanut butter sandwiches and bags...

Dealing with food allergies can be difficult, especially if you're not sure what's 'safe' to buy. This is especially true for those with severe...

Are you craving sweets? Those with peanut allergies must be especially careful when indulging their...