Amaretto - Peanut Allergy Information


Publish date:

I have a peanut allergy and a nut allergy, both super severe (anaphylactic shock). I was out at the bar with some friends once and someone ordered me an amaretto sour. It was delicious and I probably drank at least ten that night. When I told my mom about the great new drink I had found she told me not to be drinking amaretto because it is almond liquor. I had no idea amaretto was made from almonds and I'm wondering why I didn't have a reaction and if anyone else has had an experience like this? I'm assuming the alcohol does something to change something, but I find it incredibly odd and interesting that with an allergy as severe as mine, I could get away with drinking something made from almonds!

By on Dec 19, 2015

Question of the Week: Answered!

Every week, answers one of the questions posted in our community.Our Answer:

Thank you for your question. It is definitely important to be safe with drinks and your food allergy.

Amaretto is, in fact, an almond-flavored liqueur. Not all brands actually use almonds as amaretto originates from apricot pits. Unless you know if a specific brand uses almonds or not, it is safer to stay away from amaretto in general. You can learn more about the liqueur here.

To be safe, you should always double-check the ingredients in cocktails — even classic ones. Some drinks are altered from one bar to the next and you never know what variations might contain allergens. Flavored cocktails, especially, can contain major allergens. You can learn more about allergens in alcoholic drinks here.

Staying away from allergens can be especially difficult during the holiday season. For a less stressful time, try simple things like bringing your own snacks or having guests bring non-food items if you are hosting a party. You can see more helpful tips here.

We also reached out to our Facebook community with your question, and you can see their responses here.

We hope this information is helpful. Take care!