45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Thu, 03/22/2001 - 4:14am
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Recent research has linked pollution (especially diesel exhaust particles - DEP) to the development of allergy.
Moving into the city may be the reason for your symptoms, based on this research. Not only does DEP increase the severity of allergic reactions, but it has been shown to create allergies where none previously exisited.
This research was published by The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. You can find it at this website: [url="http://www.mosby.com/jaci"]www.mosby.com/jaci[/url] in the December 2000, Volume 106, Number 6 section. Viewing the abstract (summary) of the research is free, but you can pay to receive a full-text version of the research.
I would definitely go to an allergist for testing. I'll give you 2 examples why:
(1) After Cayley had a severe reaction to peanut butter, the ER doctor told me not to worry - that I didn't need an EpiPen, I just need to help her avoid peanuts. The allergist, when we finally got her tested, told us she could die the next time she ingested peanuts, and promptly gave us a prescription for 2 EpiPens.
If I hadn't insisted on allergy tests, we still wouldn't know how severe her allergy is - at least now we know, so we can take precautions.
(2) My brother had gastrointestinal problems after eating peanuts and suspected an allergy. He got allergy testing - turns out he's allergic to cats and dust, but that's all. He has a food intolerance to peanuts, which isn't life-threatening, like the allergy. He's glad he got tested, because now he knows exactly what his allergies are, and are NOT.
If you are suffering allergic symptoms, going to an allergist can begin the process to help you successfully (to a point) manage your allergies. Good luck - if you can get the allergies under control, you should be able to stay in Manhattan with little trouble.

Posted on: Mon, 04/02/2001 - 5:19am
elomba1031's picture
Joined: 03/20/2001 - 09:00

Thanks Cayleysmom and Bensmom for your replies. I took your advice I have narrowed it down and am going in for testing. My doctor is going to give me that blood allergy test I mentioned so hopefully it will be able to tell me what I am allergic to. Thanks again.
[This message has been edited by elomba1031 (edited April 02, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by elomba1031 (edited April 02, 2001).]

Posted on: Tue, 04/03/2001 - 4:19am
Sampie's picture
Joined: 04/03/2001 - 09:00

I am 36yrs old and this past year I had two serious allergic reactions this year to something I've been eating my entire life - sesame. I went to emergency the first time when I finally realized airway was closing. The second time I had meds on hand to take care of it at home. I just couldn't believe it, but the doc said my body had just built up and had enough of it. I've have 2 babies in three years, lots of changes to my body (hormones, weight gain) I am vegitarian, though not vegan, I eat and feed my kids organic. I'm still shaking my head. I;m on this site because this week we found out the hard way my son is allergic to peanuts. Anyway, mine seemed to come on suddenly, but actually it was builing up my entire life. Go figure!

Posted on: Thu, 10/03/2002 - 4:42am
nopeanuts's picture
Joined: 06/20/2001 - 09:00

I have been told by an allergist no, but my son tested positive to pistachios, which he has never eaten. The nurse said he must have been exposed in-utero, but I don't eat those either. My only guess is that I had one through cross-contamination - and then exposed him to it while pregnant/nursing - but I think that is a big stretch.
I have been wondering the same thing because I am wondering how to find out if my second son is allergic without exposing him.

Posted on: Thu, 10/03/2002 - 5:07am
samirosenjacken's picture
Joined: 09/30/2002 - 09:00

Here is what we've been told. I have 2 pa girls. My son will be 2 in oct and they say he's too young to be tested. For now, I just treat him as if he is PA. When he turns 3 my allergist will do a blood test or skin test to see if he is allergic to peanuts. He told me, however, that there are many false positives and the only way to really know if he is allergic is if he eats peanuts. My guess is if the test comes out positive, my allergist will want to do a food challenge in his office. We may consider that since the hospital is right across the street from his office god forbid something should happen. I do definitely want to know though if he is allergic.

Posted on: Fri, 10/04/2002 - 12:18pm
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Hi. I'm almost postive you can test postive without ever having peanuts. I took my son at 13 months to the allergist because he was definitely allergic to milk so his pediatrician wanted him to have his MMR shot (I think it's that one) at the allergist because it had egg in it and she was afraid he would be allergic to that also. He was and obviously, he also tested positive to nuts (a variety of them). Unless he had something that "may contain" before that, he never had any contact with peanut butter, or peanuts.
So, after all of that....the answer to your question is yes, my son had the allergy without having contact....atleast I think so!! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Hope that all made sense!

Posted on: Fri, 10/04/2002 - 1:13pm
ks65's picture
Joined: 03/06/2002 - 09:00

markus'mom- i wasn't sure if you were talking about the blood test or skin test in your case. The skin tests you can test positive even if you have never been exposed...but I agree with many of the posters on this website(atleast what my allergist told me) is that on a blood test (CAP Rast or Rast), you cannot test positive unless you have been exposed. Lastly, another thought...my ped. told me that they are finding that many kids react to the GELATIN in the MMR and not the egg. My son, too, has an egg allergy and I delayed the MMR at 1 year and will wait until 2 years b/c I am afraid of the egg. BUT, my ped. told me that "they" are finding that it is not the egg part in the MMR...just a tid bit...who knows if it is really correct or not!!

Posted on: Fri, 12/31/2004 - 2:33am
jtolpin's picture
Joined: 05/28/2003 - 09:00

Not to burst your bubble...
But I've never heard of a guarantee of outgrowing...
Sure, the lower the testing score, the better the chances of outgrowing...
And a LOW score better than high score... To me, its still a positive and you should avoid... But its 'hope' -- the magical word [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
[b]* ENRICHED * [/b]

Posted on: Fri, 12/31/2004 - 2:38am
Ree's picture
Joined: 12/31/2004 - 09:00

My sons 1st Rast was 3.9 at 23 mos and his last was 1.7 at 3yrs. I was told he is still consider moderate based on the Class it falls. He dropped from a Class 3 to a Class 2. My understanding is that it's a baseline and the numbers alone don't mean as much. They need to see where it goes over the next few years. I would be hopeful, but very careful over the next year. Good luck!

Posted on: Wed, 01/25/2006 - 11:27am
TJuliebeth's picture
Joined: 03/30/2005 - 09:00

my daughter tested negative to all other nuts as well...However, her peanut allergy was so severe, I try to keep her away from all nuts. The main reason is because of cross contamination during processing. Another reason is that I have read that the chances of becoming allergic to other nuts is likely after developing an allergy to peanuts.
[This message has been edited by TJuliebeth (edited January 25, 2006).]


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...