Airborne reactions

Author:
Updated:
Original:

For those that have airborne reactions....I'd like to know if they are consistent and predictable? Or, does your reaction/no reaction have to do with how 'full' your allergy cup is?

Thanks, Adele

On Jan 28, 2007

Touch and airborne are definitely not predictable for me.

I think I've reacted to airborne once -- in a Walmart near the McD's. They have foods (including sesame seed buns) under heating lights, and I think that's why I reacted. I could smell the buns -- but I'm not aware of an actual *smell* to sesame seeds.

Touch, I've also reacted to a few times. But not always. Usually it's when I have a cold, which means I touch the *poison* and then probably touch my face causing the reaction.

On Jan 28, 2007

Anna Marie, do you think whether you do or don't react to airborne allergens has to do with how full your 'allergy cup' is?

On Jan 28, 2007

great question Adele [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

I don't have seasonal allergies...so I don't think I have an 'allergy cup' (great phrase!)...and I haven't had any ingestion reactions, so my allergy cup has not runneth over in a very long time.

That being said --- my contact reactions are predictable and always the same minor local annoyance...Benadryl gel takes care of it, if I'm at home I'll pop a chewable. Inhalation reactions vary on the offender...I can 'smell' PB and not really be affected (but very uncomfortable), but if you get me near a bag of peanuts or open nuts, or cooking peanuts/nuts...watch out! Itchy eyes, stuffed up nose, runny nose, a little cough...by the cough I'm out of the situation in clear air and it usually clears up...if not I pop a benadryl and I'm fine.

I could imagine though, that if I had an inhalation experience everyday for a week...by the end of the week the reaction may be quicker and probably more severe (body going haywire, anticipating how to react).

Adrienne

------------------ 30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

On Jan 28, 2007

I've disregarded airborne reactions (for me) as I've not been entirely sure. I cough on Southwest Airlines, but not predictably....so I didn't know for sure that I was coughing because of the peanuts.

But yesterday, I drove my grandkids home. As we were leaving, my neighbor gave them both a double peanut brownie - not only made with peanuts but lots of peanut butter. The kids wanted to eat them right away - so I said OK as airborne peanut stuff hasn't really been much of an issue though my car reeked of PB.

Gads - within about 5 minutes I was a coughing fool.....gagging and coughing - runny nose & itchy eyes too. It was bad enough that my 6 year old grand daughter was concerned and actually asked if it was from the peanut smell! An astute kid. She zipped her brownie back into the baggie and 4 year old grandson stuffed the rest of his in his mouth!

So - interesting experiment....now I know absolutely 100% that I react to airborne stuff. But was it bad this time because my 'allergy glass' was full?

This opens up a new can of worms.

I couldn't take Benadryl because I had to drive the kids home (45 minutes)....then drive the 45 minutes home again. Now I'm worried about two round trips on Southwest in February. I am thinking of premedicating....but with what?

On Jan 28, 2007

Quote:

Originally posted by Adele: [b]I've disregarded airborne reactions (for me) as I've not been entirely sure. I cough on Southwest Airlines, but not predictably....so I didn't know for sure that I was coughing because of the peanuts.

But yesterday, I drove my grandkids home. As we were leaving, my neighbor gave them both a double peanut brownie - not only made with peanuts but lots of peanut butter. The kids wanted to eat them right away - so I said OK as airborne peanut stuff hasn't really been much of an issue though my car reeked of PB.

Gads - within about 5 minutes I was a coughing fool.....gagging and coughing - runny nose & itchy eyes too. It was bad enough that my 6 year old grand daughter was concerned and actually asked if it was from the peanut smell! An astute kid. She zipped her brownie back into the baggie and 4 year old grandson stuffed the rest of his in his mouth!

So - interesting experiment....now I know absolutely 100% that I react to airborne stuff. But was it bad this time because my 'allergy glass' was full?

This opens up a new can of worms.

I couldn't take Benadryl because I had to drive the kids home (45 minutes)....then drive the 45 minutes home again. Now I'm worried about two round trips on Southwest in February. I am thinking of premedicating....but with what?[/b]

sorry that happened! A few years ago my then-preggo (4 months) sister got in the car with a bag of roasted peanuts while on a roadtrip through the Petrified Forest. I tossed her out on her butt to the curb in 5 seconds flat! We laugh about it now [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

For Southwest, I'd go with the 'peanut dust allergy' route for your flight. Atleast then you won't have to deal with little bags of peanuts being opened up.

What to do: Call Southwest and ask for a Special Services Coordinator...it's usually the person that handles disabled passengers. Tell her/him to note your record about 'peanut dust allergy' and that you need them to NOT serve peanuts on your flight. They will give you the disclaimer about other passengers food and it being beyond their control. Then...try to check in at minimum 2 hours prior to your flight. You'll have to stand in line unfortunately. Tell the agent you have a peanut dust allergy. They will note it, call the gate agent, and give you a little ticket thing. Then...be at the gate an hour prior. Wait for the gate agent and tell them. They are supposed to tell the flight crew. Sometimes you need to sit there and wait and tell the HEAD flight attendant yourself. When you board, you need to give your peanut-dust allergy tickets to the head flight attendant and ask them to not serve peanuts. They should agree. It's about "asking" and not "telling", you know? Also --- you should be able to board with the early folks (green sleeve or something)--- tell the check-in agent you need this b/c you need to thoroughly wipe down your seat or lay a sheet on it to prevent you from coming in contact with peanut tidbits from earlier flights. They *should* comply.

When I speak with the flight attendants, they usually say the disclaimer about other passenger's food too. I let them know that in the event someone is eating something that bothers me, that my seat will need to be relocated. More so, that I will get up (even if seatbelt sign is on) and move myself and find a flight attendant to avoid any sort of reaction. They are usually ok with that too. Mind you, I take on a very vulnerable tone, making myself seem sort of helpless and shy about asking...that attitude goes a long way. Once you seem 'demanding' then their defenses kick in and think you will be a trouble passenger. I'm sure you know what I mean [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Rest easy, you should be fine.

I'm not one to premedicate. Since my smell reactions are fairly mild and act like someone who has a real bad pet allergy...I wait until I get affected and then pop benadryl. I honestly don't think I'll go into anaphylaxsis from odor...but I *am* ready if that does happen...epipens within reach, liquid benadryl within reach, etc...

Adrienne [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

------------------ 30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Related