Advocacy - Peanut Allergy Information


Publish date:
Social count:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an advocate and/ or legal counsel that has e experience with 504 plans in the public school system. (West suburbs of Chicago) Thank you!

By mom1995 on Jun 21, 2013

You are very luck in that you are in a major city. You can look for a local Center for Independent Living. The name can vary but usually contains those words. I recommend calling them first because they most likely have names for the Civil Rights Office as well as local lawyers (but start with civil rights office). That is who will make a public school follow the 504 law. They do not charge. Your tax dollars pay for them to do their jobs. Not always fast but once you file a complaint they will respond and the school will be notified which is usually all it takes to scare them into doing the right thing they should have done in the first place. Some people just need a little more convincing then others.Hope that helps.