Adults - How did you *get it*

Posted on: Mon, 05/05/2003 - 10:52am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Specifically, what I am asking is to adults who have had pa - or actually any food allergy - since childhood. I don't mean how did you get the allergy, I mean how did you *get it*?

I was an adult, and I ignored the reactions I was having for a long time. I'm wondering about kids who had a reaction before they can remember, it must be difficult to understand the severity.

Did it take being risky and actually having a reaction? or is it like poison - you don't have to taste it to believe you shouldn't eat it?

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 10:43am
erik's picture
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Hi Anna Marie,
When I was a kid, my family doctor told my parents and myself not to eat peanuts, since if I did, my allergy could result in my throat swelling shut and my possible death. This was enough of an incentive for me to "get it".

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 7:16am
erik's picture
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Hi Anna Marie,
I guess no one else "got it"? [img][/img]

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 11:36am
MaryM's picture
Joined: 12/11/2006 - 09:00

I got it after I had an anaphylactic reaction. Growing up I knew peanuts made my throat itch, so I avoided them - but I could eat creamy pb. 2 weeks before my reaction I siad something about it to one of my friend's who is a nurse and she said "You could die from an allergic reaction to peanuts". I had no idea - nor did my parents. While I was on the floor of the pub begging for air and a priest all I could think of was those words spoken to me just a few weeks prior....

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 12:17pm
darthcleo's picture
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

I am not PA, but I am shellfish allergic, and that contrast solution they use for some xrays. The contrast solution is when the allergy was discovered. I was anaphylactic then, but it didn't dawn on me at all. (I was 22, more or less)
A year later, my friends took me to a pizza place for my birthday, and I ordered a pizza with anchovies. I love anchovies, well, loved at least. I spent my whole birthday evening in the restroom, on my knees throwing up constantly. That's when I got it.

Posted on: Fri, 05/09/2003 - 12:43am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Eric, I thought you were really young (around 2) when you had your reaction. I assume a child that's young wouldn't really remember anything about it. Were you older? Old enough to actually remember it?

Posted on: Fri, 05/09/2003 - 12:45am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Kind of scary that three out of four of us had reactions as adults to *get it*.
I was an adult when my reactions started, but I didn't really take it seriously until it started interfering with my day to day life, and eventually caused anaphylactic shock.

Posted on: Fri, 05/09/2003 - 12:52am
erik's picture
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by AnnaMarie:
[b]Eric, I thought you were really young (around 2) when you had your reaction. I assume a child that's young wouldn't really remember anything about it. Were you older? Old enough to actually remember it?[/b]
Hi Anna Marie...
Good memory. yes, I was two and a half years old. And I have no memory of my reaction... no memory at all....
But my family doctor told my parents who told me that I had to avoid eating peanuts as if I was to eat them again, it was possible that my throat could swell up and I could die. Hearing this was enough for me to know, even as a kid (I am sure my parents didn't tell me this until I was older than 2.. maybe around 5 or 6 years of age when I started school?).
So hearing about my throat swelling up was enough for me to get it and I have avoided peanuts since then (except for the occasional cross-contamination reaction that has occurred) so those are the only reactions I remember (but my reaction at 2.5 was the most sever of them al since I actually had a bite of a pb sandwich)
[This message has been edited by erik (edited May 09, 2003).]

Posted on: Fri, 05/09/2003 - 1:06am
Bootsy's picture
Joined: 11/13/2002 - 09:00

Erik, that is so encouraging to hear that you have been able to successfully avoid peanuts and not have another full-blown reaction from accidental exposures!! Were your parents as diligent as the parents on this board seem to be, or was it you yourself that looked out for peanut stuff? Just wondering.

Posted on: Fri, 05/09/2003 - 12:20pm
erik's picture
Joined: 05/15/2001 - 09:00

Hi Bootsy..
Yes.. both my parents and myself ahve always been careful.
But we didn't do half the stuff the people at these boards did. Never wiped down tables in restaurants for residue. Never skipped bowling alleys, parks, etc...
In fact, we even had some peanut products in the house (ie: bird food) but I was very careful... of course. I guess compared to most people here, we had a wider comfort zone..
But once again, were very careful. My main problem was baked goods which caused some cross-contamination reactions (sicne we did not understand that concept in the old days) but sicne I tightened up on baked goods (very strict now) I have successfully avoided reactions (with the exception of some airborne minor reactions)
So the answer is we were all very careful, but not as strict as most people on PA.COM
If this answer is not clear feel free to ask for more details. Avoiding PA is possible, and of course I probably had some luck too as in the old days there were no peanut-free places.

Posted on: Sun, 05/11/2003 - 6:10am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

I have an opinion on why people [b]need[/b] to be more meticulous than in the past.
Most companies didn't make as many [i]things[/i] as they do now. For instance, we used to have Oreo's. Then Double Creme Oreo's, Chocolate Coated Oreo's, PB Oreo's, etc.
I don't think cross contamination was as much of a problem, partly because there wasn't as much to cross contaminate. But, obviously it did still happen.
Just MHO.
And Eric, I was such a pig-headed (now TH-headed) kid that I probably would have eaten a pb sandwich just to prove them wrong.



Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Anxious food allergic kids, understandably concerned about avoiding allergens, can become so restrictive in their food choices that weight loss...

Peanuts are classified as legumes, as are chickpeas. Does this mean a child with a peanut allergy needs to avoid eating chickpeas? As with many...

A young food allergic child is unlikely to say, “My throat is swelling and I’m having difficulty swallowing - I think I’m having an allergic...

Approximately one out of 13 children under age 18 are allergic to at least one food, though many of them will outgrow their allergy by the age of...

So many wonderful recipes call for peanut butter. These recipes can still be enjoyed by experimenting with peanut butter replacements.