A Birthday Party Brag

Posted on: Sat, 01/30/1999 - 7:37am
Noreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/24/1999 - 09:00

My 4yo son attended a birthday party today and he did so well with his dietary restrictions that I had to take a few minutes to brag to everyone. The big moment was during the breaking of the pinata. He came up to me to show me his stash, which was far less than all the other kids, and said, "See, Mom, I only picked the candy that didn't have peanuts in it." And sure enough, he steered clear of all the chocolate bars, tootsie rolls, and anything remotely suspect. When it came time for the cake, he politely refused and sat with the others at the table eating some candy. He had a great time in spite of his peanut allergy.

The only good that came with his accidental ingestion of peanut butter at 3yo is that he now has tons of motivation to stay away from peanut products. I was so proud of him and thought I'd share with others.

Noreen

Posted on: Sat, 01/30/1999 - 10:41am
Valerie's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/27/1999 - 09:00

<p>Noreen,<br />
Why did your son stay clear of tootsie rolls? I thought they were one of the few things that were O.K? What kind of candy does your son eat if any?</p>
<p>------------------<br />
Valerie</p>

Posted on: Sat, 01/30/1999 - 11:24am
Kathy's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/17/1999 - 09:00

<p>Valerie, My son has never had a problem with tootsie rolls or pops. We also eat chocolate bars that are labled and checked by me EACH time we buy them</p>

Posted on: Sat, 01/30/1999 - 10:05pm
terry's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/1999 - 09:00

<p>Nice job at the birthday party! On halloween our peanut allergic child goes with other kids & then exchanges peanut products for non-peanut products. The kid she exchanges with makes out quite well, but this does allow our daughter to participate in a childhood event. I believe that tootsie rolls are considered safe in the U.S.</p>

Posted on: Sun, 01/31/1999 - 12:16am
Nicole's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/21/1999 - 09:00

<p>Valerie ~</p>
<p>I would be so proud as well. I understand how you must have felt. It's unfortunate that our children have to be different but the simple fact is in order to be safe, they are different. As time goes by, I'm sure things will lighten up as our kids realize that other children have limitations to foods as well. We aren't alone out there,...some children are diabetic, some have juice allergies, milk allergies and various other things that 'make them different'. Keep your chin up and your child will do the same! Smart little guy you got there! :-)</p>
<p>Nicole</p>

Posted on: Mon, 02/01/1999 - 2:33am
Noreen's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/24/1999 - 09:00

<p>After my son's accidental ingestion of peanut butter at 3yo, I decided to narrow his selection of "safe" treats. He does not eat anything that we don't bake: that includes boxed cookies at the store. He only eats fruit-type candy such as Skittles, lollipops, fruit leather, etc. With a child this young, I think this is the best way to go with a life-threatening peanut allergy. Tootsie Rolls are safe but it's part of a genre of candy which very well might contain peanuts. I'd rather err on the side of caution when my child's life might be at stake. If he were in the habit of eating safe chocolate bars, I'm not sure he'd resist taking a chocolate bar that someone deemed safe (which is what put him in the ER in the first place). I'd rather he just not eat chocolate bars. And this might change as he gets older but it seems like a good plan for a very young child.</p>
<p>I guess the purpose of my brag was that this was the first time *he* initiated all the acts to protect himself from peanut products. Usually, I'm the one refusing the cake for him or picking out the candy which is not safe. It is such a relief to know he's starting to do this for himself.</p>
<p>Noreen</p>

Posted on: Thu, 02/11/1999 - 7:52am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

<p>Noreen, good for your son!! My son recently went to a birthday party and he is going through the "it's not fair" stage. He really used to be very good about his peanut allergy (he's 4 yrs old) but now his attitude is changing and I don't understand why. </p>
<p>Like you, I don't allow any chocolate in his diet for fear of cross-contamination. He also has eczema and chocolate makes his eczema worse. </p>
<p>Stay Safe!</p>

Posted on: Fri, 02/12/1999 - 2:24am
Michelyne's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/21/1999 - 09:00

<p>I'm with Noreen and Connie on not letting my 3 and a half year old eat any chocolate or packaged cookies. In fact, since we found out about his allergy when he was 8 months old, Liam has never had a chocolate bar or a piece of chocolate in his life. He's never had packaged cookies or any cakes that haven't come out of my oven. </p>
<p> He has, instead, developed a taste for fruit and for really strong flavoured things like lemons and garlic pickles. He tends not to like sweet things when I make them (like nut-less brownies), but will eat olives and pickles instead. Has anyone else who doesn't give their child sweets noticed that their child prefers sour flavoured things too? He's never even asked to taste chocolate when his little friends are eating it. He seems to not be interested in it at all.</p>
<p>------------------</p>

Posted on: Fri, 02/12/1999 - 4:56am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

<p>Michelyne, that is interesting what you said about the different foods and preferences. My son LOVES dill pickles and every fruit out there. He especially loves strawberries and apples and on the vegetable side, he loves squash and green beans! He is healthier than I am! It's amazing...what they don't have, they don't miss. (Wish I could be so lucky)!</p>

Posted on: Sun, 02/14/1999 - 1:26am
Mary Catherine's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/25/1999 - 09:00

<p>We only allow our son to eat Vermont Nut Free Chocolates. Before we found this company, founded by a woman in our same situation, he had NO chocolate candy. I melt down the bars to coat pretzels, mold into candies and make chocolate chunk cookies. He has her "specialties" for holidays, etc. And our son has NO baked goods or packaged cookies either. We do a lot of baking, and it does taste better, doesn't it?? I'll never trust a large company such as Nestles to have a nut free line. We receive too many recall notices. I trust a small company whose sole purpose is the same as ours...to keep our children alive.</p>

Posted on: Sun, 02/14/1999 - 12:52pm
CB's picture
CB
Offline
Joined: 01/17/1999 - 09:00

<p>Athough this a peanut allergy forum ,i would like to note that there is a great amount of emphysis placed on sweets,candies ect.<br />
Our daughter has a life threatenoing allergy to peanutbutter/peanuts, but also has other food allergies. This eliminates chocolate due to the other allergies.<br />
So with all the holidays she has no chocolate, and fares well. There are hunderds of alternatives, and they are all not food.<br />
stay safe.</p>
<p>------------------</p>

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...