3-yr.-old daughter just diagnosed with PA

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Hello everyone!!

My 3-year-old daughter was just diagnosed as being allergic to peanuts last week by an allergist. She had the skin prick test and developed a 'bump'...don't know what size or how severe it was. We were prescribed the epi-pen jr for her.

Background story...we had her in the grocery store around 11 months and she and her older brother (not PA) shared a bite of a cookie from the bakery jar. I took a bite and thought, "oh...this tastes like peanut butter" but didn't think much of it, as our son never had a problem. By the time she got home, Jen was getting mosquito-bite like bumps all over her. Called the ER and they said give her benadryl (which we did) and it went away. Called her doc the next day and was told 'avoid giving her peanuts till she's 3".

So that's what we did...gave her nothing that we knew contained peanuts as a main ingredient. She just turned 3, so we took her to an allergist and she had the skin test...which indicated a PA. Now I'm totally freaking out...some of her favorite things are M&M's, ritz bits sandwich crackers, etc. We've never noticed a problem for her with these...at least she's never had a reaction like we saw the first time in the grocery store. I hate to take those things away from her, but I also want her to be safe. The doctor did tell me that when she goes to preschool, that she takes her own snacks and that's all she should eat.

I'm worried that we did this to her, by giving her that taste while she was so young. Now I'm reading labels on everything in the house...like the EL Fudge cookies I bought for my son...vanilla with fudge...and the last ingredient I see is peanut flour! So Jenna won't have those again!!!

I'm glad to have found this site, and I really need to do some more research. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks! Andrea S. in Illinois

On Aug 13, 2003

Hello Andrea. And welcome to the bunch. We're generally friendly. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

At first, feeling overwhelmed is totally normal. You're in for a crash course on how badly the food industry treats food. I learned a lot because of PA, and I'm an industrial engineer who should know how industries work.. I know people with PA who eat M&Ms without problems, and I know others who had problems. You'll develop your own comfort zone soon enough. You can also replace the M&Ms with the Canadian Smarties which are guaranteed safe. Do a search on this site on Smarties. There's plenty of threads, and one will tell you how to get them in the States.

There's a silver lining to PA, and it's that your family will soon eat healthier. When you start reading labels, you start being picky about what you buy. It takes a while to get to that point (took me about 2 or 3 years) but what goes into my kids bodies is good stuff now. No junk, no chemicals, no OGM (as much as possible, although they're impossible to avoid), no preservatives.

Good luck on your adventures!

On Aug 13, 2003

Quote:

Originally posted by darthcleo: [b]There's a silver lining to PA, and it's that your family will soon eat healthier. [/b]

[i]I'm a big fan of silver linings.[/i] And lemonaide. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

There's a thread I'd like to reraise for Mommy to Jenna and others. While I think all threads are good threads and have merit, I have a soft spot for the one I am reraising. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome, Momma to Jenna. It has been said we are like "family". I hope so. IMHPO, that is a [i]good[/i] thing.

MommaBear [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]

On Aug 13, 2003

Quote:

Originally posted by MommaBear: [b] [i]There's a thread I'd like to reraise for Mommy to Jenna and others. While I think all threads are good threads and have merit, I have a soft spot for the one I am reraising. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

[/b]

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum3/HTML/001018.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum3/HTML/001018.html[/url]

On Aug 13, 2003

Hi There I just found this board my DS ( will be 3 in oct) is diagnosed with a PA about 9 months ago. A little over ayear ago I gave DS a taste of an english muffin with peanut butter on it didn't know he was allergic. his lips swelled up and and I gave him benedryl. He didn't even ingest it he spit it out! ugh... anyway it has been an adventure... There is a really good book that I have read " the peanut allergy answer book that has helped me understand it. I won't give DS anything that says "may contain peanut/nuts.. you can go to your peditrician and go to an allergist. DS was given a blood test to tell " how allergic he is". MY DS has been put in the moderate catagory. which still puts him at risk for an annaphyactic reaction. so we carry an eip pen jr. He has a 20% chance that he will out grow it by the age of 5 ( with no accidental ingestions). so I am hopeful! good luck... after a while I am getting used to reading every label every time! Therese

On Aug 13, 2003

Thanks, everyone, for your welcome and your thoughts.

I called the allergist's office today, he's out of town this week but I made another appointment for next Wed. Basically my husband and I have a lot of questions to ask, ones that I didn't think of at the time.

Jenna had the skin test last week, doc said it should take 10-15 minutes to see a 'bump'. It took about 10 or so, maybe a little less, and she had a little mosquito-bite on her forearm, maybe the size of my pinky fingernail, I don't remember. The doc didn't measure it. It went away after a few hours. All the doctor said was 'yes, she's allergic', and gave me a pamphlet for the Food Allergy Network. He said she may or may not outgrow it, and we got the epi-pen(s) to carry around.

I want to steer away from the 'may contain' foods, I'll have to buy Hershey Kisses for her instead of her favorite MM's!! I feel guilty, maybe if she hadn't had that one initial bite of PB 2 years ago, or if we hadn't been giving her things like plain MM's, that she wouldn't be in this situation! Guess I'll start making my list of questions...I've found some very useful info here on this site.

Thanks again for your welcome and support. It means so very much!!!

Andrea S.

Related