2yr old daughter recently diagnosed w PA

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Hi, New to the site and new to this world. My 2 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with a PA and TNA. I feel like we have been given a life sentence. I can't get my head around how life will ever be normal again, I'm blaming myself for her getting this,(I ate peanut butter while breast feeding), and I have a million questions that I thought of immediatly after I left the Dr's office in Friday. I guess I am looking for reassurance and guidance....any available?

On Dec 5, 2004

Hi, and welcome! I'm sorry your dd has been diagnosed with pa, but you will find a lot of advice and support here. Feel free to ask any questions you forgot to ask your dr.

As far as eating peanuts, etc while breastfeeding and pregnant, I ate all of it with both. One of my sons is pa, and the other one ate pb sandwiches daily until his brothers diagnosis. So I really don't think that has any effect. So don't feel guilty! If that theory was true, I would have two pa sons, not one.

Did your dr. give you a prescription for at least two epi pens? Did he show you how to use it? Please make sure you always have them with you, even leaving them in the car is too far away.

How did you find out about the allergies? Did she have a reaction?

On Dec 6, 2004

Hi! Don't worry, you'll be able to have a normal life, so don't worry about that. You'll just have to be extra careful about food. I find I have to plan ahead a little more than most people, but we can function pretty normally.

The beginning, when you are first learning about PA, is the hardest part. As you become more familiar with the ins and outs of living with food allergy, it will get much easier.

There is a lot of information here and when you have questions be sure to post for advice or for help in finding info.

On Dec 6, 2004

Hi, Yes, I have a perscription for epi-pens. Got them today. We first noticed that our dd would get spots around her mouth when eating some foods, then one day she grabbed a tiny piece of toast with Peanut butter on it and ate it and got hives on her face, they only lasted about 1/2 hour. We were at the ped. for another reason and mentioned this, so he referred her to an allergist. Saw her this Friday past, she did the skin test and it came back positive. She told us we did not have to remove everything from our house that had nuts, but to be careful that she did not ingest anything. As a result, I have no idea how serious her allergy is since everything I have heard/read says you must get rid of all things with /may contain nuts and she told us we didn't...just the beginning of my confusion!

On Dec 6, 2004

Quote:

Originally posted by Gilli011: [b] She told us we did not have to remove everything from our house that had nuts, but to be careful that she did not ingest anything. As a result, I have no idea how serious her allergy is since everything I have heard/read says you must get rid of all things with /may contain nuts and she told us we didn't...just the beginning of my confusion![/b]

There are some parents on this board that keep nut containing items in their home and are just very careful. I am not one of them. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/rolleyes.gif[/img] I have removed everything that could be a threat to my son (including may contains). Why have to worry about what she "may" get into in her own home?

I also had my parents and my inlaws designate a high shelf for their nut items. That way I didn't have to constantly worry what he might get into in the cabinet (when he was younger). My son is 4 1/2 now and is very good about knowing what is and what is not safe. But, I still wouldn't allow peanut or tree nut products in my home.

Good luck, Jaime

On Dec 6, 2004

Welcome to the boards!!! just if your intrested- ive got a nut allergy site too!! [url="http://www.goingnuts.cjb.net"]www.goingnuts.cjb.net[/url]

and also its forum

[url="http://s8.invisionfree.com/The_Nut_free_zone"]http://s8.invisionfree.com/The_Nut_free_zone[/url]

Related