19 year old death from allergy

Posted on: Thu, 06/17/2004 - 6:41am
Mary Kay's picture
Joined: 01/25/1999 - 09:00

Here is an article on a 19 year old who died from anaphylaxis. Not clear as to whether he had a nut or peanut allergy, but a tragedy either way. It does show however, that you never know how serious the reaction will be, especially when asthma is involved.


Email to a Friend | Your comments
Thursday, 17th June 2004
Killed by a curry
Clarissa Satchell

TRAGEDY: Philip Heywood, 19

A HEALTHY teenager died from a peanut allergy after eating half a portion of curry.

Phillip Heywood, 19, shared a portion of chicken tikka masala with girlfriend Becky as part of a celebration takeaway meal to mark the three-month anniversary of their relationship.

But the popular teenager, who lived with his parents at Little Lever, Bolton, had a violent reaction to the food and suffered an anaphylactic shock. He was taken to hospital from Becky's home at Heywood, but died two days later.

Today, Phillip's heartbroken parents, Ged and Marieann, said they wanted to warn other parents about the potentially-deadly dangers of food allergies and urge anyone with even a mild case to be thoroughly tested.

Philip suffered from asthma, and allergy tests when he was a baby indicated that he had a mild allergy to eggs and nuts. But further tests when he was five showed the egg allergy had disappeared, though the mild nut allergy remained.

Mrs Heywood said: "He used to be a bit careful with nuts, and if something didn't agree with him his eyes would puff up a bit and he wouldn't eat it again. But he used to eat things like Nutella and cereal with traces of nuts with no problems. He had eaten curry before and used to have chicken tikka on a barm for his lunch sometimes, so he probably thought it was safe.

"His girlfriend and he shared the portion and he didn't even eat all his. What I don't understand is how he could have got to 19 without ever having any serious reaction, and then for this to happen all so suddenly.

"We just didn't expect it - he had an inhaler but otherwise was perfectly healthy. We didn't even know what anaphylaxis was until after it happened."

United fan

Philip was doing a media and film course at Bury College, and had just found out that he had had offers to study media at Chester and Salford Universities when the tragedy struck on Saturday, June 5.

A keen Manchester United fan, he was a team mascot during the treble-winning year, appearing in the M.E.N. with England captain David Beckham.

Among more than 200 sympathy messages to the family was a letter from United manager Sir Alex Ferguson expressing his sympathy for their loss.

The family have been told that tests on the remains of the curry have not shown anything out of the ordinary.

An inquest will take place to determine the exact cause of Philip's death, but the family have been told by doctors that the most likely cause is a nut allergy.

Mr and Mrs Heywood, who run their own catering business, have two daughters and now plan to get both tested for allergies as both suffer from asthma. Today they urged other parents to do the same. Phillip's funeral will be at Christ Church in Little Lever, at 9.30am tomorrow, followed by a service at the Greek Orthodox Church in Bury New Road, Salford, at 11am and interment at Blackley Cemetery, Manchester, at 1pm.

The family ask for donations to be made to the Anaphylaxis Campaign through Sillett's Funeral Service in Bolton.

Mr Heywood said: "Nothing can bring Phillip back but we just hope we can raise awareness about anaphylaxis for the sake of other families."

For further details about the condition go to the web site below or call the Anaphylaxis Campaign help line on 01252 542029.

Mary Kay

Posted on: Thu, 06/17/2004 - 7:31am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Mary Kay, I'm sorry, I can't comment on this one at all except to say that it is tragic that this young man is dead. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Thu, 06/17/2004 - 12:25pm
California Mom's picture
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

Yes, and so tragic that this young man and his family did not have the information those of us here have: to always carry an epi-pen and to avoid all nut traces. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img] Too sad for words. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img]

Posted on: Fri, 06/18/2004 - 4:19am
Lovey's picture
Joined: 03/22/2004 - 09:00

I dearly wish that health care professionals in all countries would put an end to the myth of a "mild" peanut/nut allergy. There is simply no such thing and it's absolutely irreponsible not to educate people to this reality.
This boy should be alive today. It is another tragic story.


Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...