This casserole is comfort food at its finest: not only is it free of the top eight allergens, but it is also lower in fat than traditional recipes! This recipe is from Cybele Pascal's latest cookbook, Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes or other baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 pound 90 percent lean ground bison or beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Big pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons superfine brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce, or 1 teaspoon ketchup plus a splash of Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance soy-free buttery spread or olive oil
- Sweet paprika
- To make the topping, prick the potatoes a few times with a fork, put in a microwave-safe dish, cover, and cook in the microwave for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender (or if you have a baked potato setting, use that). Let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove, split in half, and spoon out the potatoes’ flesh. They will be hot, so use a kitchen towel or gloves to protect your hands.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip together the potato, yogurt, olive oil, salt, and rice milk. Whip until fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the onion, carrot, celery, and ground meat. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the cloves. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle the meat and vegetables with the brown rice flour, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beef broth, bring to a boil, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Add the ketchup and Pickapeppa Sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a 7 by 11-inch casserole or baking dish. Top evenly with mashed potatoes, dot the top with the buttery spread, and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Broil 6 inches from the heat source for 6 to 8 minutes until the top is browned. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Reprinted with permission from Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group. Photo credit: Chugrad McAndrews.
To purchase Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, click here or on the image below.
PeanutAllergy.com does not guarantee the safety of these recipes. Please read all labels carefully when preparing food and consult a medical professional if you have any doubts or questions
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.