Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
This casserole is comfort food at its finest: not only is it free of the top eight allergens, but it is also lower in fat than traditional recipes! This recipe is from Cybele Pascal's latest cookbook, Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.
This Recipe Is
- 2 pounds russet potatoes or other baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 pound 90 percent lean ground bison or beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Big pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons superfine brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce, or 1 teaspoon ketchup plus a splash of Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance soy-free buttery spread or olive oil
- Sweet paprika
- To make the topping, prick the potatoes a few times with a fork, put in a microwave-safe dish, cover, and cook in the microwave for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender (or if you have a baked potato setting, use that). Let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove, split in half, and spoon out the potatoes’ flesh. They will be hot, so use a kitchen towel or gloves to protect your hands.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip together the potato, yogurt, olive oil, salt, and rice milk. Whip until fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the onion, carrot, celery, and ground meat. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the cloves. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle the meat and vegetables with the brown rice flour, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beef broth, bring to a boil, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Add the ketchup and Pickapeppa Sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a 7 by 11-inch casserole or baking dish. Top evenly with mashed potatoes, dot the top with the buttery spread, and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Broil 6 inches from the heat source for 6 to 8 minutes until the top is browned. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Reprinted with permission from Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group. Photo credit: Chugrad McAndrews.
To purchase Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, click here or on the image below.
Subscribe today and receive a handy one-page guide to peanut-free snacks!