Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
This tasty Asian-inspired recipe comes from Cybele Pascal's latest cookbook, Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Cybele’s Soy-Free Soy Sauce (page 141) or coconut amino acids
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- 5 cups broccoli florets, blanched (see note)
Note: To blanch broccoli, bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the broccoli florets, and cook until tender but still crisp, 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Cut the beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut the slices into rectangular pieces about 1/2 inch wide and 1 inch long. In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the soy-free soy sauce with 1 tablespoon of the mirin and 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the beef and toss well to coat with the marinade; set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chicken broth, the remaining 2 tablespoons mirin, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy-free soy sauce, and the cornstarch, honey, and black pepper.
- Place a wok over the highest possible heat. When it’s hot, add 2 tablespoons of the canola oil to the center of the wok and swirl it around. Once it’s just started hinting that it’s about to smoke, add the beef. Stir-fry until it loses its raw color, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside; keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil to the wok and swirl it around. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 5 seconds, then add the broccoli and stir-fry until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the chicken broth mixture and add it to the wok. Return the beef to the wok. Sprinkle generously with salt, stir and toss well, and transfer to a warmed serving platter. Serve with white rice.
Reprinted with permission from Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group. Photo credit: Chugrad McAndrews.
To purchase Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking: 30-Minute Meals Without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal, click here or on the image below.
PeanutAllergy.com does not guarantee the safety of these recipes. Please read all labels carefully when preparing food and consult a medical professional if you have any doubts or questions
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.