Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Fried Green Tomatoes
Southern comfort food.
This Recipe Is
- 1 lb green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal or self-rising flour
- big pinches of salt and pepper
- Lay the tomatoes out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let them rest for about 15 minutes, then blot excess moisture from both side of tomatoes with a paper towel.
- Place the buttermilk in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate shallow bowl, place the cornmeal and a couple big pinches of salt and pepper.
- Dunk each tomato in the buttermilk, shaking off the excess, then coat both sides in cornmeal.
- Heat about 1/2-inch of oil to about 350 degrees in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, place breaded tomato slices into oil and fry for about 5-8 minutes, turning once, until both sides are golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels or a cooling rack to drain off excess oil.
Recipe from Perry’s Plate
PeanutAllergy.com does not guarantee the safety of these recipes. Please read all labels carefully when preparing food and consult a medical professional if you have any doubts or questions
Subscribe today and receive a handy one-page guide to peanut-free snacks!