Login | Register

Food Allergy Death at School


The Chicago Sun Times recently announced that 13-year-old Katelyn Carlson died from anaphylaxis on Friday.

Carlson, who was allergic to peanuts, was hospitalized just after 1:30 p.m. Friday after she suffered an allergic reaction to a food she ate at her Northwest Side school in Chicago.

Emergency crews took Carlson to Swedish Covenant Hospital in serious-to-critical condition. She was later transferred to Children’s Memorial Hospital. According to the medical examiner’s office, at 5:40 p.m. she was pronounced dead. An autopsy revealed her death was caused by anaphylaxis.

Chicago Public School spokeswoman Monique Bond shared that the district has no formal policy on the use of emergency medication such as EpiPens. Instead, the school district staff rely on 504 plans (individual student health plans) when emergencies arise.

Sadly Carlon's death comes less than a month before formal policies regarding food allergies are to be implemented in all Illinois schools.

According to the board of education's website; each school board is required to implement a policy based on guidelines that were previously developed, by January 1st.

Ruth LovettSmith is the mother of a child with multiple life threatening food allergies and founder of Best Allergy Sites: Your Food Allergy and Gluten Free Guide http://www.bestallergysites.com/

By Fred Hetzel on Sat, 01-08-11, 02:18

I am interested in discussions concerning EpiPen injection failures.

All comments and thoughts are appreciated as to possible causes, i.e. bent needles, clogs, empty pens, injections in carrying case, cold springs and any others.

Thanks, in advance, for your response(s)

Fred Hetzel
[email protected]

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Our directory is highlights our favorite products for people with peanut and nut allergies.