Commercial tahini is often made with peanut oil, but it's quick and easy to make at home. Serve with veggies, crackers or pita bread.
- 5 cups sesame seeds
- 1-1/2 cups olive oil
- Tahini is a simple paste made from crushed sesame seeds. It is versatile and high in calcium with 2 tablespoons offering 130mg of calcium
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Toast sesame seeds on a baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes
- Frequently turn the seeds with a spatula and do not allow to brown
- They should be golden
- Cool for 20 minutes
- Pour sesame seeds into food processor and add oil
- Blend for 2 minutes
- Process until it is very smooth
- The goal is a thick, yet pourable texture
- Add more oil and blend until desired consistency
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.