Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Hello, new here
Hi my name is Jeannine, this weekend we had a big scare; I gave my 18 month old son peanut butter for the first time and he had an anaphylactic reaction. I did have the Benedryl all ready before I gave the PB to him and it was a good thing because the reaction came on very fast. Almost immediately he started to itch his eye, I kept watch on him to see if it was an itch or a reaction, after a minute or so he wouldn’t stop rubbing so I looked and saw his eye was red and starting to puff; I gave him the benedryl immediately.
My husband was away on business, I started to panic a little, unsure of what to do and who to call, wondering how serious it was, I got a hold my sister who is a nurse she just told me “call 911” I called and by the time the paramedics arrived the entire right side of his face was swollen. I was definitely panicked and having a hard time thinking clearly and asked the paramedics if I should drive him to the hospital (in my head I couldn’t figure out how they would take him since there were no car seats in an ambulance); they very kindly said “it’s OK we can take him”. On the way to the hospital he became more lethargic and swollen, the paramedic was asking me questions and keeping me focused on him I think so I wouldn’t look at my son. At one point I looked at his little face and he was very swollen, his right eye was swollen shut and even his lips were swollen and purple. They gave him epinephrine in the ambulance. We got to the hospital and pretty much everything was a blur; I was told later that his tongue had also been swollen and that he was having an anaphylactic reaction. The reaction came back 3 or 4 times but thankfully was less severe each time.
We were released from the hospital the following afternoon with an EpiPen, a few scripts and orders to see our pediatrician on Monday. That afternoon everything that happened seemed to hit me at once and I lost it (a few times), I couldn’t get the image of his swollen face out of my head and was terrified of it happening again, I was afraid to put him back in his high chair or to even let him in the kitchen in case I had missed a spot of peanut butter somewhere. I was feeling like it is inevitable that this will happen again and they say subsequent reactions are worse, I just didn't want to see him like that again.
I hate that I can't control his environment, I want to tattoo peanut allergy across his forehead and give everyone he comes in contact with the 3rd degree asking what they have eaten.
It has been two days now and I am feeling a little more calm, we have an appointment with an allergist in two weeks. I am supposed to take him to a children's show and out to lunch with my parents on Friday - I am a little nervous but I also don't want to start sheltering him to the point that he doesn't experience anything. I am going to call the restaurant beforehand to see if they use peanut oil or products and ask the protocol for peanut allergy patrons. Are there places you avoid or take extra precautions at because of the allergy?
Are these reactions a common occurrence? I never want to see my son like that but don't know if it is reasonable to think I can prevent it. I now carry an emergency kit with benedryl, EpiPen and nebulizer at all times. I hope to never need it.
Could a reaction "wake up" other allergies? He hasn't had a problem with tree nuts (I have been giving him nutella since 12 months) but now I am nervous to give it to him.
I'm sorry this has been so long, I think it was a bit of a release from this weekend, man I can't wait for my husband to get home from his business trip!
Thank you for listening,
Subscribe today and receive a handy one-page guide to peanut-free snacks!