Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
6 yo son newly diagnosed with PA/TA
We have known he had allergies since he was about 2, he started with asthma and needing singular and flovent daily. I started asking for allergy testing then, but my Doctor thought he was too young, so we just recently decided he was already on so many meds, we needed to find out what he was allergic to. They started with the blood test, which came back positive for peanuts, walnuts, soy, milk, and dog. I was so scared. Many of these things he has all the time. we skin tested for just peanuts and it was positive. We chose to do a peanut challenge and he ate them with no problems...so good news. The doctor scheduled a more comprehensive skin test, and decided that he wasn't allergic to the others because he has been eating them without problems.
We went in for skin testing, which was bad. He was allergic to all the grasses, most of the weeds, and almost all of the trees in our area. But, he is already maxed out on his allergy meds, so we were just supposed to keep him inside as much as possible...not very easy with an active 6 year old boy. But, as the cottonwoods have bloomed, even with 3 different allergy meds, he is getting bloody noses, sinus infections, runny noses and puffy eyes.
On to the second food challenge. The doctor wanted another blood test on peanuts and nuts, because the information seemed so different. He showed an extremely high allergy to both Peanuts and several of the tree nuts. So, we scheduled another food challenge. They started with a half of a gram of a peanut. He immediately got hives on his back and stomach. The doctor stopped the food challenge and said he is allergic to peanuts. because of the positive on the tree nuts, we were told to keep away from those, too. So, we got an education on how to use an epi-pen and I just can't stop worrying.
A week later...we had decided we could have PB in the house because our girls love it, and we thought his reaction was fairly small. Husband ate PB toast and kissed Hunter goodbye. Within ten minutes Hunter had hives. So, now we know, it is a bit more serious.
The issues that I am having, is knowing what is safe to eat and what is not. It is just so overwhelming. We have tended to eat out a lot, and now we are trying very hard not to...and we also have never eaten very healthy, and almost everything we have eaten has been in contact with nuts. Hunter already feels totally deprived and I just don't know what to do to help. I make cookies here, muffins, we bought an ice cream maker...any other suggestions to help?
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.