Taken peanut allergy to a new level

6 replies [Last post]
By TMEG on Mon, 09-12-05, 15:46

I have a peanut allergy that I have taken to the highest level I know about.
In the last 2 1/2 months I have been in emergency 3 times. 2 of the 3 times from touching an object someone has touche after eating or handling some kind of peanut (nut) product. One of the objects was an bank machine and the other was a bottle of pop.
I am trying to adapt to this new way of living and was hoping to get advise on how they changed the new normal in their lives??
This is still very new to me, before it was only the smell or eating.

Thanks for listening,
TMEG

Groups: None
By on Mon, 09-12-05, 16:06

I haven't had much problem with reactions from smelling ortouching residue. The few times I did I was under a lot of stress, and I think that lowers my resistance.

Did you react immediately after touching? or did you put your hand near your mouth or nose?

If it wasn't immediate, maybe you could carry around a small packet or wet-ones (baby wipes) to wipe your hands after touching things that lots of people have touched.

If it was immediate, that might not help. The only thing I can think of is wearing rubber gloves. That's something I (personally) wouldn't want to do if I could avoid it. If you do try that, I'd suggest non-latex. It seems when someone has an allergy they are often prone to developing new allergies (in my opinion, anyway) and my son developed a latex allergy after wearing gloves daily at his work.

********

Welcome to the board.

Groups: None
By jbillinois on Mon, 02-27-06, 01:00

I've had reactions from touching stuff several times now, and the first time it happened I couldn't believe it. I really didn't think anyone could be that allergic. Now I carry alcohol wipes with me on planes and I'm really careful in public places. My office has a strict no chinese/asian food or peanut products (I'm allergic to soy & peanuts), and I wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant or places like bars that might have bowls of peanuts out. I've been doing pretty good until a few weeks ago, when my eyes kept swelling and hives kept growing. We finally discovered that a co-worker had brought paydays to work.

Groups: None
By on Mon, 02-27-06, 02:42

Alcohol wipes aren't necessary for protein - most baby-wipes will work. Of course, if you want to kill germs the alcohol will help with that.

There is a thread somewhere that discusses different things that were tested for cleaning hands and surfaces. I'll try to find it.

Groups: None
By TMEG on Mon, 02-27-06, 15:12

I felt the very same way.... I could not believe that someone could react this badly. I have found that since I started to react like this my other allergies have started to react at a higher level. Example: with dogs I rated a #2 with my allergy test and always only got red sore eyes and sneezed - now I get hives and it feels like the beginning of an attack but only goes so far then levels out. This only happened once so far and I was near not touching a outside dog.
As far as being scared..... It took me almost 2 months to get over the feeling that if I walked out of my house I may die... I now wear silicone gloves (allergic to latex) when I deposit my cheques at the bank. I do not open doors to malls etc. I let the person I am with open the doors. I have gone out to restaurants, I know that it is a risk but I am very careful what restaurants I go to and what I eat (ask a lot of questions) Life has changed but like my doctor said this has become my NEW NORMAL...
I find that people who do not have allergies can not understand how something like a peanut can harm someone... EVEN when I try to explain what happens to me.... The public needs to become more aware of PEANUT allergies and start to think how they can help... NOT EATING PEANUT PRODUCTS AT ANY WORK PLACE ... example: gas station, bank , any work place.

MAKE THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE FOR EVERYONE...

Quote:Originally posted by jbillinois:
[b]I've had reactions from touching stuff several times now, and the first time it happened I couldn't believe it. I really didn't think anyone could be that allergic. Now I carry alcohol wipes with me on planes and I'm really careful in public places. My office has a strict no chinese/asian food or peanut products (I'm allergic to soy & peanuts), and I wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant or places like bars that might have bowls of peanuts out. I've been doing pretty good until a few weeks ago, when my eyes kept swelling and hives kept growing. We finally discovered that a co-worker had brought paydays to work.[/b]

Groups: None
By jbillinois on Mon, 02-27-06, 19:23

Thanks Anne Marie! I'm all for killing germs on planes--those seats are nasty.

I too have become much more careful with all public places. I have chosen to drive my car to the city rather than taking a train, just for that reason.

Groups: None
By on Tue, 02-28-06, 01:21

Here is a link to tests that were done regarding cleaning peanut residue.

[url="http://www.inbio.com/pdf_files/abstracts/Perry-Arah1.pdf"]http://www.inbio.com/pdf_files/abstracts/Perry-Arah1.pdf[/url]

If you want to read opinions of people on this board, try a search for *wipes* in either the Main forum or Living With. There might be one in Schools as well.

I know there were a few discussion about cleaning.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social