reports of recent pa research studies

3 replies [Last post]
By Kathryn on Mon, 04-21-03, 00:57

I thought you might find these articles from the April 8 issue of Medical Post interesting:

[url="http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093625_3564"]http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093625_3564[/url]

[url="http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093014_408"]http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093014_408[/url]

[url="http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093812_3612"]http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20030409_093812_3612[/url]

Groups: None
By momma2boys on Mon, 04-21-03, 14:42

these articles kinda scared me. I can see all kinds of people saying "oh, your kids allergic to peanuts, I read you should feed them MORE peanuts and it will go away."

Also lets hope the schools dont read the one about contact reactions, etc,

Groups: None
By Kathryn on Thu, 04-24-03, 16:01

I posted these because the research is important. Casual contact is an area that I have lots of questions about. There are lots of anecdotal reports about reactions to smell. My son cannot be near people eating peanuts without developing itchy eyes, runny nose, environmental allergy type symptoms but he has not had an anaphylactic response. My brother can be near persons eating peanut butter and have no response at all or only a slightly itchy nose. I think each individual will differ as allergy does differ from person to person but a study that says anaphylactic reactions did not occur is reassuring. I can handle allergic reactions but I do not want to handle anaphylactic reactions!

I showed this article to my son's school nurse and principals. It demonstrates that research is occurring to support our requests and actions. It demonstrates that I am aware of the research and as a team player on the school team keeping my son safe, I am willing to share what I learn. This report clearly says that no change is warranted now and I discussed that with the school team. "Several clinicians in the audience cautioned against taking too much reassurance from the findings because the settings were controlled, the child's allergic diseases were stable and the amounts of peanut butter used were small

Groups: None
By mom2two on Fri, 06-13-03, 18:20

I haven't posted here in a long while but I was scanning and saw this about the research at Mt. Sinai re: contact/airobrne reactions. My daughter was asked to participate in this but we have moved out of NYC and I already know she is not contact/airborne reactive although she is extremely allergic when ingesting peanut products.
It was a fairly small study but as with all things, I think that most children who are allergic to peanuts are not touch/smell reactive but that doesn't meant that all of them are not. And with young children especially, even if they are not contact reactive, their hands are always somewhere near their mouths.
I know there are anecdotal accounts of smell sensitivities too, especially on planes but many theories out there seem to point to psychosymatic reactions or just plain fear reactions when smelling peanuts and knowing how deadly they can be when ingested.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social

 

Poll

Where do you get your peanut allergy information?
The internet
33%
My allergist
33%
Friends or family
33%
Other
0%
Total votes: 3