My son had his second contact reaction at school Thursday. His first one was in May. He sits at the nut free table, but then plays with kids at recess who have eaten peanut butter.
After lunch on both occasions, he felt his throat closing and an itchy tongue. When the nurse looks at his throat, it isn't actually closing up, but he does have one swollen tonsil. He was given Epi both times and spent the night in the hospital. I witnessed this in the nurse's office. After Epi, the tonsil is still swollen, but it does go down some.
Does anyone else have this as a symptom? It is so difficult with a contact reaction to determine whether it is an allergic reaction or the beginning of a viral illness.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.