Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
protein discovery uncovers mechanism of anaphylactic shock in mice
Mice saved from lethal allergic reaction
Protein discovery reveals mechanism of anaphylactic shock.
Richard Van Noorden
Anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening reaction to apparently innocent substances.
For some people, it just takes a taste of peanut to induce a sudden and possibly fatal allergic reaction. Now researchers have unpicked the mechanism behind this anaphylactic shock, and have managed to protect mice against the condition.
Anaphylactic shock is estimated to affect up to 15% of the US population. It can be triggered by a wide array of allergens, including bee stings, latex, medications and certain foods (such as peanuts or shellfish). Those struck have trouble breathing, find their face, neck and throat swelling up, and may eventually lose consciousness as their blood pressure drops
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.