Login | Register

Peanuts in school ... along with me and you

2 replies [Last post]
By michelle1325 on Sun, 06-27-99, 21:43

I JUST FINISHED 7TH GRADE. TOWARDS THE END OF THE YEAR WE HAD A PARTY IN ONE OF MY MUSIC CLASSES. WE HAD FOOD. I ASKED THE MUSIC TEACHER IF A YUMMY LOOKING TRAIL MIX HAD PEANUTS IN IT. SHE SAID IT DID, BUT IT HADN'T BEEN MIXED UP, SO I MIGHT BE OK IF I ATE SOME OF THE STUFF AROUND IT. I THOUGHT IT WAS A BAD IDEA. BUT, BEING ME, I WENT FOR IT. I ATE ABOUT 2 PRETSILS. I COULD TASTE A LITTLE BIT OF PEANUT BUTTER. SO I THREW IT AWAY. WELL, I BROKE OUT INTO BIG TIME HIVES. ALL OVER MY NECK AND FACE. WHEN REALLY STANK IT THAT I COULDN'T GET A HOLD OF MY MOM IN THE NURSES'S OFFICE, SO THEY COULDN'T GIVE ME MEDICEN. (CUZ I DIDN'T HAVE SOME KIND OF FORM) ANYWAY, I SUFFERED A LONG TIME (MISSED 3 CLASSES) FINALLY, I FELT SOME WHAT BETTER AND WENT BACK. I WAS REALLY MAD THEY WOULDN'T GIVE ME MEDICEN. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE BEFORE? WHAT DID YOU DO? I DID HAVE THE REQUIRED FORMS IN (THAT DID STATE MY PEANUT ALLERGY). I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Groups: None
By dhumphries on Mon, 06-28-99, 01:09

Hi again Michelle,

I keep posting responses because I am very concerned about your situation. If you don't have the epi-pen, what sort of medication to you have for your allergy? And you should always carry epinephrine (ie the epi-pen or ana-kit on your person, as you need your medication IMMEDIATELY after exposure/ingestion. A few seconds or minutes can really make a difference in the severity of your reaction.
Once again, please get your parents to read these boards.

Stay Safe, Debbie

Groups: None
By Noreen on Mon, 06-28-99, 02:54

Hi Michele:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at the nurses' office and am glad you're okay in spite of some very serious medical neglect. To prevent something like this from happening in the future, please get your parents to draw up a medical treatment plan which authorizes the teacher and school nurse to give you the necessary meds you require when you are having an allergic reaction. It wouldn't hurt to have your allergist co-sign this authorization form, just in case your parents leave anything out. (And if you don't have an allergist, now is definitely the time to get one!)

Your reaction was caused by something called "cross contamination." In other words, even though you didn't eat a peanut, proteins on the peanut rubbed off and attached to the pretzels. Therefore, I'd suggest you read the Manufacturers, Restaurants, Recalls, and Labeling sections on this Board to help you avoid another cross contamination accident.

Stay Safe,

Noreen

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Our directory is highlights our favorite products for people with peanut and nut allergies.