Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Peanuts and Itching
For the past two nights, I've been awakened in the middle of an otherwise restful sleep by severe itching on my face. This hasn't happened in quite some time, and I just realized that I had not eaten peanuts in quite some time. Yet the last two nights, I've packed down about 80% of a 12oz can of Planters Cocktail Peanuts.
I know that tracing down food allergies can take a while, and this face itching (and itching in general) has been something that's been causing problems for years, and it's gotten worse in the last few years, to the point where I get an "itch, scratch, itch worse, scratch harder, cause hives, itch furiously, claw like a madman, sigh in defeat" cycle that drives me absolutely nuts, and never having thought about one of my favorite snack foods as a possible cause, I've had peanuts as a regular part of my life since I learned to put peanuts in my Coke as a boy.
I'm now seeking to avoid all contact with peanuts and peanut residue I'm aware of to see if it helps, but I'm wondering if such a long and virtually constant exposure to peanuts might have built up so much in my system that it might take a long time to clear it all out to see any relief that may come.
I don't have the severe reactions that some report, like swelling of the throat, so if I do have some sort of allergy, it's very mild compared to that, yet if this is the cause, it does result in a non-deadly, yet almost equally unpleasant suffering of its own kind.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.