Login | Register

Peanut Intolerance?

6 replies [Last post]
By unpocoloco on Wed, 01-07-04, 06:34

Hi all,
For about 2 years now I've thought I've had a lactose intolerance. Well, I still think I do...but there could be more. After eating peanut butter and triscuits, around 20 minutes later I started feeling the familiar symptoms of gas and bloatedness. Does this mean I have suddenly developed an intolerance for peanuts? (nooo!) What steps do y'all recommend I take to find out?

I certainly don't have a peanut *allergy* as my throat feels fine and I don't get any allergic reaction at all. So, would it be worthwhile to see an allergist? Or, is there a more appropriate doctor to go see?

Thanks for the tips,
Adam

Groups: None
By KarenH on Wed, 01-07-04, 15:43

Adam, all I can tell you is my own personal situation...I am not a doctor.

I never had any allergies until I was in my late 20s, and then I developed a nasty pollen allergy. After figuring that out, when I was about 29 I started to have Oral Allergy Syndrome, which is when you mouth begins to react to certain types of fresh fruit and veggies. I became unable to eat apples, peaches, necterines, etc. I haven't been able to find out if it's considered a "true" allergy, since it's confined to the mouth/neck only. I get horribly itchy inside my mouth and hives/itchy on my neck. After that, I had the same reaction to almonds and hazelnuts. From what *I* have read, with Oral Allergy Syndrome if you begin to react to nuts then you need to watch it because nuts are unpredictable, but anaphylaxis is rare. This is with tree nuts. (peanuts are not nuts they are a legume).

Anyhow. Fast forward to 2 years ago. I was having some horrible gastro intestinal symptoms (diarreah-sorry to be graphic) to peanuts. I discovered this because I was really suffering but I was eating pb all the time. We went on vacation, and I didn't have any for 2 weeks or so. We came back, I ate some, and BANG had it all over again. I considered it more an "intolerance" and began to avoid peanut butter, but still munched on the occasional peanut containing item. Symptoms got worse...progressed to breathing hard and sinus pain. I became concerned and talked to my allergist. HIS words were... (and I'm not quoting here, just summerizing)

Peanut allergies are rare. If you had a true peanut allergy then a very small amount would land you in the emergency room. You are not peanut allergic, you are intolerant, or you are reacting to cross contamination to the nuts you ARE allergic to (almond, hazelnut, walnut). Go home, EAT SOME PEANUTS if you are wondering. You won't react.

I began to doubt my own feelings...and I did what he said. I *DID* react, and probably should've used my epi pen.

Since then it has taken less and less to give me a reaction-for instance, I reacted to a peanut containing item being heated in a microwave on Monday. I am switching allergists.

Listen to YOUR instincts. The doctors are not always right (not offering advice, just sharing my own personal experience)

Groups: None
By Cayley's Mom on Wed, 01-07-04, 18:12

Please click on this link [url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/001241.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum1/HTML/001241.html[/url] to read about my brother's experience with exactly the same symptoms. The happy news is - it wasn't an allergy, he was eventually tested. Hope you have the same results and good luck!

Carolyn

Groups: None
By unpocoloco on Thu, 01-08-04, 01:12

Hello,
Thanks for the quick replies. Cayley's mom -I actually read that thread that you referred me to, thanks [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not sure if I was clear, but whatever I have is 100% NOT an allergy. I eat peanuts and mixed nuts all the time, and suffer no allergic reactions. What I do suffer is gastrointestinal unpleasantness. Therefore I think that going to an allergy doctor isn't the right move.

Anyway, all tips are appreciated [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
- Adam

Groups: None
By Going Nuts on Thu, 01-08-04, 14:03

There are allergies that are not IgE mediated (causing hives, swelling, etc.) that primarily affect the intestinal tract. An example is children who do not test positive to milk, but who get severe diarrhea and bloody stools (not lactose intolerance either) from dairy products. I can't remember the name for this, but it might explain what you have. I'll wrack my aged brain for what this is called, unless someone here can come to my rescue and remember for me!

I just went blank and can't remember whether you have actually been tested or not. If you haven't, it might be a good idea as a place to start.

Hmmm, maybe I need to have some memory testing while you go for allergy testing. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Amy

Groups: None
By megans mommy on Fri, 01-09-04, 04:58

Don't know how much this helps....but I have a 2 yr old daughter who reacted to several foods in the same way. She tested negative on the RAST and only positive to wheat, fish, and peanut on the skin test. She broke out in hives from milk...so there was obviously something going on there. She had severe stomach cramps on soy milk, so she was reacting to that too. She also used to throw up a lot when she was younger and would eat eggs.

We never could get a definite answer on what it was....but we just treat it like an allergy--complete avoidance.

Now my 3 1/2 yr old daughter is vomitting after about 3 days drinking milk. She also has 'spells' where she will stop playing abruptly, turn pale and sit on the couch for several minutes before she is able to get up again. It takes about 3 days for the symptoms to go away after eliminating milk. We just had her tested today. They did a skin test and it was negative!! But she is obviously reacting to milk.

I think some people have delayed reactions (as I have heard them called), and this may be what is going on with my girls and possibly you. All I know is we avoid the foods that make them react and it works! Megan's allergist was not concerned about the peanut reaction and did not think it could be life-threatening since she only reacted by vomitting/stomach cramps, etc. I disagreed with her as these reactions were only from her drinking breastmilk while I had peanut butter in my diet!! I requested an epi-pen, just to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry for us!

I have never found any information on peanut allergy and Megan's symptoms. Everything I have read (even on FAAN) states that peanut allergies are generally life-threatening--which scares me to death! I do think people have different thresholds though. Some people react to smelling peanuts/some to only actually consuming them... I think it would take Megan accidentally getting ahold of a pb sandwich for her to react... but I don't ever want to find out!

Groups: None
By Going Nuts on Fri, 01-09-04, 13:00

OK Unpocoloco (great name, BTW), the phrase I couldn't remember is Allergic Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis. In some people it is IgE mediated (in other words, it will show up on a RAST) but in others it is not. People will often suffer from severe reflux, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, the runs, etc. If I can find a link on it, I'll post it.

Perhaps you should get checked out by someone with real credentials, as I sure don't have any. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]

Amy

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Our directory is highlights our favorite products for people with peanut and nut allergies.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email