Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Mrs. Butterworth\'s pancake syrup
My son (PA) had some of Mrs Butterworth's syrup last week. They were having a pancake treat at school. He threw it up a couple of minutes after he ate it. They checked him for signs of a reaction at the nurses office right away. No rash, no hives, nothing around his mouth. I picked him up about 20-25 minutes after he threw up. He looked a little tired, but no body hives, maybe a little redness around his eyes, but not very significant of reaction. I took him home and gave him a bath. He said he felt fine. 3 hours later (and for the rest of the day) he ate normal amounts of normal type foods, toast, yogurt, eggs, rice, pears. Never showed any sign of GI discomfort. I have to assume it was either the pancake cooking gear was x-contaminated with something bad, or that the syrup was the culprit.
I wonder if there is something in the syrup that didn't agree with him and that coupled with the excitement of the morning's party, and just getting off the bus was just too much. I think we may have had trouble before with this brand of syrup, and I think that's why I only buy maple syrup. But this would have been about 3 years ago, and I don't remember that well. Also, 3 years ago he was throwing up so often that we had a hard time keeping track of the usual suspects.
Anyone else have trouble using Mrs. Butterworth's?
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.