May contain peanutes, processed in a plant......

11 replies [Last post]
By mboonstra on Sun, 01-21-07, 17:16

anyone else frustrated by candy bars they used to eat that now have warnings about being produced in a factory that uses peanuts or other nuts? Arrrgghhh!!!! i'm sure its the same as it was, but they are just covering their behinds....but now i'm all freaked and i have to avoid...good for my waist, but bad for my tastbuds. i used to love kit kats.

Groups: None
By starlight on Sun, 01-21-07, 17:37

Yes. Doesn't it feel like your world is shrinking more and more each day?

The way I see it, these things have always been made this way. For people like us (the adults with PA), we never had a clue and just ate the things. In the past, you just ate whatever didn't say peanuts, and if someone reacted, they didn't eat them anymore and started calling companies. BUT most of us never did react! Now it's just so hard because I know I've had X candy a zillion times and I *know* I don't react to traces (I've only ever reacted to visible, blantant peanut), but then there's this word PEANUT on the label and I just freak out. I *know* I'm probably okay eating it since I'd been eating it for 20+ years, but then I'm hyper-aware of myself for hours and hours afterward (like, omg, my eye is dry, am I reacting?).

I mean, growing up, I had a Little Debbie Snack Cake EVERY DAY. Never had a problem. Probably wouldn't have a problem now, but I just can't bring myself to, you know? Even though I'm sure it'd be safer to have a Little Debbie than the bakery turnovers and donuts I get from the grocery store. Which I've never had a problem with either.

You mentioned Kit Kats specifically though. I *think* it's Adrienne on this board who called Hershey and the Kit Kats are made in a totally seperate room and on seperate equipment on the opposite end of the building from peanuts. I don't know what your personal comfort zone is, but this is okay with me and I do eat Kit Kats on occasion as does Adrienne (if that's who called, pretty sure it is) without problems.

Groups: None
By erik on Sun, 01-21-07, 18:09

And in the USA, Kit Kat Bites have no allergy alert. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

__________________

*Addicted*

Groups: None
By gw_mom3 on Sun, 01-21-07, 18:28

Yeah-I would do just about anything for a 3 musketeer bar.

------------------
==============
[b]~Gale~[/b]

__________________

==============
~Gale~

Groups: None
By erik on Sun, 01-21-07, 18:56

Quote:Originally posted by gw_mom3:
[b]Yeah-I would do just about anything for a 3 musketeer bar.

[/b]

Some of the Three Musketeer bars in the USA are manufactured in the peanut-free/nut-free facility in Newmarket, Canada and imported into the USA. But M&M/Mars USA still adds 'may contain peanuts' to the label anyway. Maybe you can encourage them to label properly so you can find the safe bars. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

(same thing with some Milky Way bars)

__________________

*Addicted*

Groups: None
By ajgauthier on Sun, 01-21-07, 22:38

Quote:Originally posted by starlight:
[b]
You mentioned Kit Kats specifically though. I *think* it's Adrienne on this board who called Hershey and the Kit Kats are made in a totally seperate room and on seperate equipment on the opposite end of the building from peanuts. I don't know what your personal comfort zone is, but this is okay with me and I do eat Kit Kats on occasion as does Adrienne (if that's who called, pretty sure it is) without problems.

[/b]

yes, I called about a year ago...so of course I can' guarantee that it's still the same situation.

But yes, for HERSHEY's I will still eat "made in the same facility as nuts/peanuts" WHY? Because Hershey takes great care to label appropriately and they have a scaffold of labels: contains xyz, may contain traces of xyz, made on the same equipment as xyz, and made in the same facility as xyz. Those go from 'highest probability of containing xyz' to 'lowest'

I know people throw stats out about the percentage of manufacturers that label as 'same facility as' and it actually contains peanut/nut traces. That's all fine for generalizing, but I'm specifically talking about Hershey's policies and procedures. Since they have a variety of labels and have demonstrated that they care and label appropriately...then I trust the labels.

For me...with Hershey...I don't think 'same facility as' is a risk FOR ME. Other's don't have the same comfort zone.

For other candy/chocolate...I'm not so trusting. Really, it's only Hershey we can eat in the US (and now Nestle Canadian Coffee Crisp) if you don't go with Rebecca's Nut Free or Vermont Nut Free or a canadian chocolate shop.

I have gotten miffed in the past about candies and favorite foods coming out with a new label to indicate I shouldn't take the risk. I have an audible "ugh" and put it back and that's the end of it. No more thought, rolls off my back! My opinion is that it's usually fattening, sugar laden, carb laden, or is processed food and has all these chemicals and preservatives in them...who needs that! I've recently taken on a 'whole foods' mentality and cook for myself...food that expires in a week...not much prepackaged anymore. More for my general health and eating better than for allergies.

Don't get me wrong though...I still have my fair share of York Peppermint Patties, Junior Mints, Kit Kats (and Kit Kat Bites), Hershey's Kisses, Guittard super chips straight from the bag (!), and Coffee Crisps.

Adrienne

------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

__________________

***retired from pa.com***

Groups: None
By DaBear on Tue, 04-03-07, 23:01

We have a 10-year old son with PA, and our Canadian household is completely peanut safe. This means that every shopping trip means re-reading each label (even for food stuffs we've purchased safely before), because of the alarming trend by product manufacturers to cover themselves with the 'may contain...' warning. Equally some of our (former) favourite family restaurants are placing 'may contain...' statements on their menus and/or corporate (for those like Swiss Chalet, are chains) allergy awareness literature. Chicken nuggets or french fries are okay, but Caesar salad has been flagged with 'may contain...'.

Ever have a waitress or waiter promise to check with the kitchen, and come back with the manager (or alone) stating that they can't guarrantee there won't be any cross contamination? That's when I warn them that I may cross contaminate their 'tip' with pennies instead of paper... try again, please. And if they still won't stand behind proper product control... its time to leave, thank you very much.

Groups: None
By MommyMegan on Fri, 04-06-07, 16:14

You know what kind of creeps me out? When I was younger, we would go to the park and go swimming. During the lifeguard break, we'd go to the vending machines. I never, ever worried about what I could or couldn't have. I would get a SNICKERS and eat the caramel and bottom part and throw the peanut part away, it always made my mouth tingle, but I never but 2 and 2 together. I would KILL for a Milky Way. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img] OR even, a Reese's PB cup, with NO reaction.

Aww.. I miss those days.

__________________

Megan; Mommy to 3 kids.
Allergic to Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Kiwi.

Groups: None
By MommyMegan on Fri, 04-06-07, 16:20

Quote:Originally posted by ajgauthier:
[b] yes, I called about a year ago...so of course I can' guarantee that it's still the same situation.

But yes, for HERSHEY's I will still eat "made in the same facility as nuts/peanuts" WHY? Because Hershey takes great care to label appropriately and they have a scaffold of labels: contains xyz, may contain traces of xyz, made on the same equipment as xyz, and made in the same facility as xyz. Those go from 'highest probability of containing xyz' to 'lowest'

I know people throw stats out about the percentage of manufacturers that label as 'same facility as' and it actually contains peanut/nut traces. That's all fine for generalizing, but I'm specifically talking about Hershey's policies and procedures. Since they have a variety of labels and have demonstrated that they care and label appropriately...then I trust the labels.

For me...with Hershey...I don't think 'same facility as' is a risk FOR ME. Other's don't have the same comfort zone.

For other candy/chocolate...I'm not so trusting. Really, it's only Hershey we can eat in the US (and now Nestle Canadian Coffee Crisp) if you don't go with Rebecca's Nut Free or Vermont Nut Free or a canadian chocolate shop.

I have gotten miffed in the past about candies and favorite foods coming out with a new label to indicate I shouldn't take the risk. I have an audible "ugh" and put it back and that's the end of it. No more thought, rolls off my back! My opinion is that it's usually fattening, sugar laden, carb laden, or is processed food and has all these chemicals and preservatives in them...who needs that! I've recently taken on a 'whole foods' mentality and cook for myself...food that expires in a week...not much prepackaged anymore. More for my general health and eating better than for allergies.

Don't get me wrong though...I still have my fair share of York Peppermint Patties, Junior Mints, Kit Kats (and Kit Kat Bites), Hershey's Kisses, Guittard super chips straight from the bag (!), and Coffee Crisps.

Adrienne

[/b]

Don't toy with me Erik! Now, everywhere I go, I'm checking those Milky Way labels!

__________________

Megan; Mommy to 3 kids.
Allergic to Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Kiwi.

Groups: None
By ajgauthier on Fri, 04-06-07, 17:41

Quote:Originally posted by MommyMegan:
[b] Don't toy with me Erik! Now, everywhere I go, I'm checking those Milky Way labels!

[/b]

the Canadian peanut-free Mars bar *is the same candy bar* as the US Milky Way.

So...go to one of the canadian candy sites, and you can order your very own Milky Ways under a different name [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Adrienne

__________________

***retired from pa.com***

Groups: None
By falcon on Sat, 04-07-07, 01:51

I appreciate getting as much info as possible, so I actually like knowing if stuff is made in a facility with nuts, etc. I just wish there was a more informative way to phrase it. So I could know if they meant in a different part of the facility or on the same line, etc. The food companies hurt their business by not being more informative and just providing CYA info.

Groups: None
By fuzzyfurball on Tue, 05-08-07, 12:37

I am also frustrated by the labels too. For me, Kit Kats do make my mouth tingle now, even though years ago they didn't. Actually some of the same candy bars I used to eat years ago always made my mouth itch or tickle and I never tied it to the peanuts and not just some weird feeling that I only have.

I am another one who sticks mostly with Hershey for chocolate. There are some candies that now have warnings on them, and I am never sure of whether I should eat them or not. Little Debbies? I am scared to death to try them. (I do react to traces, but not severely)

I wish the companies would label more specifically. I was thinking about this too--I mean what does it really mean: Made in the same facility?

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social