Should I avoid peanuts?
I've had a very mild peanut allergy all my life and my last reaction was when I was 10 years old when I did a peanut challenge at the allergist. I got mild symptoms after about 30 minutes when I was halfway through a peanut butter cup. I had mild itching/sneezing and my nose looked swollen. It was my worst reaction yet. But still, they had to use a magnifying glass to see it. The verdict was, I had a "sensitivity". So they gave me an epi-pen to cover their butts. I never needed it though. At one point they thought I outgrew the allergy completely.
I'm 16 so it's been 6 years since that time, which was my last reaction. I go in for a prick test every once in awhile. It shows up as mild every time. I don't go out of my way to avoid thinks that might be cross-contaminated or things that say "processed on the same equipment as peanuts" until a few years ago just to be on the safe side.
I went in for a prick test earlier this year and it showed up a little bit bigger than most times but not my too much. I just got an IgE blood test last week to determine if I really was allergic. Turns out it's completely negative. Which really confuses me, because I thought it would at least show up a little. After all, it's more likely to have a false positive than false negative. My allergist called and said "it looks like she's outgrown the allergy!" She said I'm one of the lucky ones.
So is it possible that I have outgrown the allergy completely within these 6 years?
Like is it possible to have a positive prick and negative blood test? My mom said the allergist said the blood test is more accurate, but when I look it up, people say the skin/prick test is.
My allergist is the top allergist in the whole state.
So I should probably believe her over the internet.
I'm just really confused. Should I still go out of my way to avoid peanuts or should I just let go, and take my allergist's word...