Mommy trying to learn about my 2 yr old son's peanut/tree nut/egg white allergy..Need advice and help.
My son turned 2 in July. He has had eczema from day 1. His eczema became very painful after exhausting all of our efforts. I finally took him to an allergist and learned that he is allergic to peanuts (he broke out in hives when they did test), some tree nuts, egg whites and most all trees/grass/mold. The allergist prescribed an epi pen (luckily we have not had to use)and suggested that we eliminate all nut allergens from his diet.
I am slowly learning and trying to educate myself on his allergy and how to keep him safe from reoccurring reactions.
The 2 times that he has been exposed to peanuts (peanut butter and an actual peanut)he immediately breaks out around his mouth and eyes and hands. His eyes swell and he becomes extremely itchy. His eczema will then jump into full force after a reaction.
I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how severe his allergy is. We are in the process of eliminating all allergens from his diet (very tricky..thankful for labeling) and we have noticed a HUGE difference in his skin. It looks great!
So my questions are:
How do I know how severe his allergy is?
Do I assume that each reaction could get worse?
How do I convince my in-laws/friends/family the severity of the matter? (They have given him peanut butter nabs, peanut butter and jelly upon our continuous requests NOT to do so)
He is allergic to egg whites also. What does this mean exactly?
If anyone could give me some advice or have a similar situation..I would be thrilled to talk. Thanks so much :)