Exposing a younger sibling of a PA older sibling
My 5 yr old son was diagnosed with a PA when he was 1.5 years old. SInce that time, we have created a peanut-free home. His little sister (who is now almost 3) hasn't been exposed to any nuts because of this. Our allergist said that we need to expose her to peanuts now, because the longer we wait, the more likely she will will be PA as well. So with a pit in my stomach, I bought a jar of peanut butter. It is in a cupboard, sealed in a ziplock bag. Yesterday morning, with epi-pens at the ready, I did a skin test...waited...and nothing. I washed her up and changed her shirt. Later that afternoon, I gave her a small taste...and no initial reaction.
However, I was as stressed as I have ever been, worried that she might drink her brother's drink or kiss him or something. The doctor said it can take up to 2 weeks before we know if she is in the clear. Any advice on dealing with this? I'm so scared that my son might accidentally come in contact with it. Also, does anyone know if I have to keep giving her peanuts once/if we discover she isn't allergic?