My sons peanut allergy went from .062 to 21

My son had IGE in 2007. His count was 430. Had one done this week. He just turned 14. His count was 540. His peanut allergy was .062 in 2007 and now it is 21. He rarely eats nuts, can't think of the last time he has but sure he has. My husband says he's eaten the peanuts at 5 guys.
Wondering if I should be concerned by a 21
Not .021 but a solid 21
The doctor referred us to an allergist. I called today and left message to get appointment.
The doctors office also called in an EPI pen prescription.
Just very confused by the high number.
I googled and saw several studies where the blood and skin tests can be false.
Hospitals are doing eating tests etc.
just wanting your thought. Is 21 really high? I mean its high not a 1,2 or 3 but he's 14 and been around people that eat nuts, I can't remember him eating nuts in a long time. Use to love just peanut butter no jelly sandwich. He stopped eating them couple years ago on his own, no reaction just decided he didn't want to eat them. He's very picky eater 5 foot 7 and just 100 pounds. Maybe being so picky has saved him. He's not much of a sweet eater. Vanilla shakes only.
Just has happened last 2 days and kinda thrown e for a loop. I don't want to over react but take seriously if I should.

By headfirstfearless on Sat, 03-02-13, 06:55

21 is definitely a dramatic increase from his 0.062 reading. However, it is not ridiculously high. For example, I am considered a level 6, which is >100. This would indicate a severe, anaphylactic reaction almost without a doubt. I can't remember where 21 falls, maybe a level 3 or 4. My allergist has told me that you cannot necessarily predict the severity of a reaction based on your test results because reactions can vary so much. However, it is likely that someone with a very low level is not going to experience anaphylaxis and someone with a very high level is likely not going to experience a mild reaction. Also, false positives DO happen. Another thing my allergist educates his patients on is if they test positive to an allergen, yet never experience an issue, then it is likely a false positive. However, in these cases he also will sometimes recommend a "food challenge" which takes place in the allergy office, and the patient is given increasing amounts of the suspected allergen while having their vital signs, any symptoms, etc. monitored. In the mean time, I would avoid peanuts until you receive further direction from the allergist. Hope this helps and good luck!

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social

 

Poll

Where do you get your peanut allergy information?
The internet
33%
My allergist
33%
Friends or family
33%
Other
0%
Total votes: 3