First reaction today... What now?

My daughter will be 1 year old in a couple of weeks. She has been exposed to and has eaten peanut butter a few times recently without any reaction whatsoever. (I have never personally given it to her, but grandparents, aunts, & others have let her have it.)

Today, I gave her a slice of toast with peanut butter and she almost immediately broke out with a red rash on her face, eyes swelled up, and white bumps formed around her eyes. She responded well to Benadryl, and within minutes she was back to playing and jabbering.

My question is... What do I do now? How could she have had peanut butter on 3 or 4 occasions, and then suddenly be allergic to it? Is this common? Could it have been something else besides the peanut butter? Should I see an allergist or just her regular pediatrician?

I've been reading through some of the posts on this site and now realize how severe a peanut allergy can be. Should I go on about things as I always have and just not give her peanuts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

By andy8922 on Sun, 03-17-13, 05:41

I would recommend taking her to the pediatrician for some allergy tests.
My son tested early on for peanut and tree nut allergies. Each year (he's now 3) we get him retested. During his 3 yr checkup we told the Dr how he had a reaction to a dog he was playing with - the owner of the dog told us the dog had eaten his kids Nutella sandwich so we assumed my son had a reaction to Nutella (hazelnut). So the Dr tested him for dog allergies and sure enough he's allergic to dogs as well. We had just assumed it was the hazelnut he had a reaction to. Which was probably part of it.
So I would def recommend getting tested so you know exactly what she's allergic to.

Groups: None
By chbaum11 on Sat, 03-16-13, 12:30

First, I would call your pediatrican as soon as possible and let them know.

This JUST happend to our 16 month old son Thursday! He, like your daughter has had peanut butter and products with peanuts in them with no reaction. I gave him a few pieces of bread with peanut butter on them and he immediately broke out into hives, his nose started running and his eyes were itching. I gave him benedryl which resolved everything within 30 min. I called the pediatrican and they said that he had a fairly quick reaction and have diagnosed him with a peanut allergy. They called in a perscrition for an Epipen that day and told us to stop giving him peanut butter and all peanut products immediately.

They also said that we would wait to see an allergist until he was older, like 3 or 4 years, because since he was so young they did not want to challenge his system again so soon.

I hope this helps and I hope I did not freak you out.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social