How long do hives last?
I was just wondering how long hives last? My daughter who did not have any food allergy's developed an allergy to Blackberrys at the begining of summer. Her tongue was tingling. We had her skin tested and sure enough she is allergic. Last week she was eating a jelly sandwich, and within 5 minutes of finishing lunch she got 2 large hives on her face, and 1 on her neck. She had no other symptons. The jelly was grape and it was make with Concord Grapes.
Her brother has many food allergies. He is on so much allergy medicine, that he does not get hives, he goes right into his throat closing every time. So hives our new for us.
O.k., so after she broke out in hives, my husband insisted that it was poison oak. She had been exposed to it the day before. I guess it takes a day for it to show up. I said to him why did it happen right after she ate lunch. So fast forward a couple of days and my mom sees the hives which did not go away with benadril, and she says that it also lookes like poison oak. Toaday has been 6 days and you can still see where the hives were althouth they are much smaller and not as red. They do have little cuts in the center where they were. Does that make sense. I do not think hives leaves cuts, but she could have scratched them. She is 9.
What do you think? I am thinking about giving her some grape jelly to test her but want to wait until the hives are completly gone. I'm not sure what a Concord Grape is, but I am thinking that maybe they are dark purple, and she is going to be allergic to anything that color. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.