How long after eating something is it normal to have a reaction?

7 replies [Last post]
By Sarahfran1 on Sat, 12-23-06, 03:01

When I came home from grocery shopping tonight around 8:30, DD (who had stayed home with DH) had a small hive on her cheek under her eye. Within a few minutes it grew in size to about the size of a dime and another one popped up close by. I gave her benadryl and they went away after a bit, but I'm tring to figure out what on earth may have caused these. Everything she ate tonight was stuff she's had before with no problems (spaghetti with tomato sauce, apple juice, milk, broccoli, four plain Hershey's Kisses and container of Hunts chocolate pudding.) but at the school holiday party today she told me she had a chocolate shaped like a bear and a candy cane. That bear shaped chocolate sounds suspect to me but that was more than six hours before her hives developed. And I have no way of contacting the teacher until after the winter break, so I won't be able to find out what exactly that was.

So would it be normal to have a reaction six or seven hours after eating something? I know that her previous reactions have lasted for hours and hours, but the always show up immediately.

I guess the other possibility is something environmental. She's had bad reactions to cats before, so I suppose it's possible that she contacted some random dander left behind by one of my sisters a couple of days ago. But that also seems unlikely as she didn't have any problems while they were actually here with their coats and purses and other cat-infested stuff.

Sarah

Groups: None
By Sarahfran1 on Sat, 12-23-06, 04:04

(quote edited out by office)

I hadn't thought about that (the digesting process). Her teacher was the one who gave her the chocolate and she's always been good with dealing with Claire's allergy, although it's generally not an issue since they don't have food in the classroom normally. This was the first class party of the year.

I'm going to talk to her after the break and see if I can find out what she ate.

Thanks!

Sarah

Groups: None
By NicoleinNH on Sat, 12-23-06, 22:26

***

[This message has been edited by NicoleinNH (edited June 10, 2007).]

Groups: None
By mommamia8 on Sat, 12-23-06, 23:52

My ds got full body hives 7 hours after eating a bite a scrambled egg (not sure he even swallowed it). So, yes, it can happen. However, I don't think this is the norm.

I have heard the more serious the reaction the faster the symptoms. That is a general rule and does not apply all the time.

Groups: None
By McCobbre on Sun, 12-24-06, 00:07

FWIW, my ingestion reactions either come 20 minutes or 2 hours later (strange--rarely in between), but they're GI.

__________________

My posts may not be published by anyone without getting express written consent by me.

Groups: None
By Jimmy's mom on Sun, 12-24-06, 13:15

I know this sounds crazy, but DD was allergic to plums and nectarines as a baby (has sinse outgrown). She would get a rash 4 days after eating. Yes, 4 days. When she first tried jarred plum baby food, she got a rash 4 days later. I didn't think it would have been the plums that much later, but waited a couple of weeks, tried again, and 4 days later she had a rash just like the first one. We avoided plums after that. A few months later she had her first taste of nectarine, cut up. She loved it and wanted more..and more. 4 days later, much bigger rash (of course, she had eaten a lot of nectarine).

So I always wonder when people here talk about those "mystery reactions" whether it could be a delayed reaction like what DD had. It would be hard to trace back to the correct food. The only reason I made the connection was when it first happened, DD was only just starting on food, so it was easy to narrow down, and with the nectarines, I remembered how closely related they to plums (after she ate them).

------------------
[url="http://www.the3day.org/boston07/deedaigle"]http://www.the3day.org/boston07/deedaigle[/url]

__________________

[url="http//www.the3day.org/boston07/deedaigle"]http//www.the3day.org/boston07/deedaigle[/url]

Groups: None
By bethc on Wed, 12-27-06, 17:33

Normally, my DD feels it right away with pain/tingling in her mouth and immediately gets hives next to her mouth. However, we believe that 2 times she had serious, delayed reactions. Both times she ate may-contains. At the time we knew she was allergic to peanuts but didn't understand the risk of things that weren't peanuts or peanut butter outright. It's even possible she had minor hives that disappeared quickly and went unnoticed. Once she ate something in the afternoon and once at suppertime. Both reactions started in the middle of the night, so they were MAJOR delays. She woke up in the middle of the night coughing constantly, gasping for breath in the middle of sentences while sucking in her breath so hard her ribs would show (is that retractions?), and having stomach cramps. One of those 2 times she also vomited early in the morning. Come to think of it, even before those 2 times when we can remember the dangerous things she ate, there was another time while we were traveling that something similar happened in the middle of the night: gasping and crying so much she could hardly talk to us. We didn't know why she was so upset, but we did give her Benadryl and afterwards wonder if it was an asthma attack, even though she didn't have asthma. Oh, it's so scary to think of all this and how little we knew about the danger she was in! I've talked to her allergist, and he said that although very delayed reactions aren't common, they are possible. I'm thinking digestion and absorption of a tiny amount of peanut protein did it to her.

Groups: None
By momll70 on Wed, 12-27-06, 18:41

My first reactions were 24 hours after ingestion, but that was my first peanut reactions. My DS reacts pretty quickly too but I wonder if someone swallows a piece of chocolate and the trace is inside and the chocolate has not had time to melt or digest if it would take a few hours til the trace actually comes into contact with your body and a reaction occur. My friends son usually experienced the same reactions and one time it actually was very different. He is PA and usually gets hives on face and top of his body first and one time it started on his legs first and she couldn't tell until he told her that his legs were itching then his throat started closing up. Could it be that it was a trace of something else like tree nut also. It's so hard to try to figure it out but I hope you do. Good luck and I hope your child is feeling better.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social

 

Poll

Where do you get your peanut allergy information?
The internet
29%
My allergist
57%
Friends or family
14%
Other
0%
Total votes: 7